Picking Framework

Hey guys I am working on a side project and I need a web server that has Rest API and can render and send React.js pages. I can decide if I want to try something new or do something I am more familiar with like Node.js or Laravel. What do you guys think?

Technically speaking a webserver doesn’t have a REST-API on its own. You need to write the code that provides the REST-API. Technically even static HTML is RESTful. A REST API isn’t bound to a specific framework. The important part is how the information can be accessed. So the question really is what you want to do with your application. Presenting a REST API is relatively easy, as long as the URLs and their contents remain static, which is technically possible without any framework and technically without any scripting at all.

So some criteria you need:

• How big is your project
  • How is the data stored
  • How much information will be accessible via REST API

There is no prebuilt REST API’s. You have to make them yourself.

Here is a great tutorial series that I am using to make a REST APi.

I know this I have made them in other projects. I just want some opinions on like ASP.NET vs Node.js. I would like to try ASP.NET but it doesnt seem viable on a Linux machine.

Its a multi platform project. I want to make a app and a website with a group of friends where you can rent out and rent other peoples cars.

Yeah ASP is Microsoft only.

I really have no desire to learn ASP because node can run on both.

I know it can run on Linux but its really designed to be developed on Windows. I wish I could more easily get into ASP.NET because so many companies use it.

fire up an Azure instance and give it a whack then I guess.

Whats that?

Looks like Amazon AWS

Yup, it pretty much is.

Because they are misguided.

But I digress.

Since you are a student, you should be able to get one for free, and then initialize a windows server for you ASP.NET development.

2 Likes

I will think about it. Although I think if I wanted to use ASP.NET I would just use Laravel for how similar they are and I have used Laravel before.

Yeah but thats PHP, but if its what you’re familiar with then go at it bro.

Ever tried Ruby on Rails? As a suggestion.

But this thread is about ASP.NET. Honestly, I have no clue how to get set up for this. I would think it mostly pointless unless you were trying to tie a web service up with a domain for enterprise users.

Otherwise, I’d just use Heroku.

No whats that like?

My two cents on what to use: if you’re already familiar with NodeJS, you might as well use something like express or loopback. Javascript really is the easiest language to start prototyping these JSON APIs in, why look any further if you already know it? You’ll probably learn plenty of things anyway.

If you’re looking for some tutorials, egghead.io has some great stuff!

Rails is pretty much the mother of all web frameworks :stuck_out_tongue:

Nope its about any possible web framework.

They have you do a blog style tutorial to learn how it works. Its really intuitive.

And its whats actually used by companies for big web apps :stuck_out_tongue:

I second this, but if you really want to get deep into frameworks that like to do everything for you, do rails.

My old neighbor was Rails Dev for Exxon. They tied Rails into a Go backend for payment processing and statistical analysis of resource gathering (oil fields)

@Dynamic_Gravity

Now you guys have me interested in Ruby on Rails.

1 Like

Fun Fact: Its actually what Youtube was originally built upon.