Picking a MotherBoard

Hey guys,

I am making my first build, and I have no plans to overclock anything. I don't need a super fancy motherboard with a crazy amount of different slots, and I just want to do pc gaming with games like Skyrim, Far Cry 4, Dying Light, and similar games. I have pretty much everything picked out and feel pretty knowledgeable on all the other parts, but I really don't know a whole lot about motherboards. I am getting an AMD Fx 8350 so I need an AM3+ socket, I know that. Otherwise, my case is going to be a deepcool tesseract SW Mid tower case. I plan on having two sticks of ram, at least for now. I see a lot of people recommending ASUS, and I also see some MSI that look to do the same function just for around $20 cheaper. Again, I don't want to overclock at all, and I am looking for one hopefully less than $90.

Thanks, can't wait to see the responses!

You really want a 990FX board for an 8350. It is gonna be hard to find one of those for that price. The Gigabyte GA-990FX UD3 is prob the cheapest I'd recommend but I personally would go with the M5A99FX Evo/Pro from Asus. 

I would agree with DerKrieger, the M5A99FX Pro is one of the best boards for 990FX which is what you want, I think they can be had for about $120, maybe abit less not sure.

Yeah, I agree as well. You are going to want the added power of the Evo\Pro 

Budget?

Have you allready boaght that cpu?

Which GPU are you going with?

Because you could buy a Z97 board for the same price as a decent 990FX chipsetboard. An i5 will be slightly more expensive, But significantly better in some games, especialy in skyrim. or any other cpu bound games, like mmo´s and what not.

i would "personaly" not invest money on a 3 year old EOL AM3+ platform anymore for gaming. If you are looking for a new mobo + cpu, then by all means go with an i5 if you can afford.

Note: That i not wanne talk you into anything, but its just my "personal" opinnion as a FX8350 user. ☺

As far as AMD boards goes here is my list of recommendations in order.

1. Asus crosshair V Formula Z
  2. Asrock 990FX Extreme 9
  3. Asus 990FX Sabertooth R2.0
  4. Asus M5A99FX pro R2.0

970 boards:

1. Asrock 970 Performance
  2. Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0
  3. Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P