Picking a 24" Monitor ready for Cyberpunk 2077

So I am building a new system ready for Cyberpunk 2077 (something like Ryzen 5900X + RTX 3080) - 1st world problem being that the new machine is easily going ot outperform my existing 60Hz monitors. The honest truth is I just don’t understand how to compare the various panel types, refresh rates, resolutions to get the most out of what I am doing. So my aim is to find a 24" monitor with a preference for colour and resolution over refresh rates. I usually play RTS, RPG, dungeon crawler type games so won’t really be playing anything ‘twitchy’ enough to justify really high refresh rates. Can anyone provide some guidance/ suggestions?

For 24" I would suggest my own pick: 1080p @144Hz and IPS.

I own a MSI G241 and cannot complain.

You could also go 1440p. But I wouldn’t buy a 1440p display smaller than 27".

For 24" 1080p is a great resolution.
IMHO, Ideally, you want a monitor capable of at least 100Hz refresh rate.

There are three common panel types, each with different characteristics:
TN - Fast refresh capabilities for twitch games, with less vibrant colors, but cheap.
VA - Good colors, great contrast, blacks that actually look black, middle of the road price.
IPS - Brilliant photorealistic colors, “IPS glow” is a common issue, blacks may only look dark gray, usually cost more.

This is a good place to learn and read reviews:
https://tftcentral.co.uk/

1 Like

Buying a 1080p display for a RTX 3080 does sound a little sad to me.

I agree that for 24" 1080p and for 27" 1440p is pretty good as there is no need to use windows scaling, while everything still looks sharp (a 3080 seems to be overkill for both resolutions though; it seems to be “optimized” for 4k (when looking at current gen games)).

You could take a look at the best of lists from:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best
Interesting lists could be:

• Best 4k Gaming Monitors
  • Best Gaming Monitors

They also have a great presentation of their findings.

However, you need to check if the monitor you want is actually available (a lot of times they seem to be sold out…)

Appreciate that link, haven’t come across that site before.

Might be tempted to go up to 27" 1440p, might just need to consider re-arranging my desk somewhat I suppose.

27" 1440p 144Hz IPS was the best monitor decision I’ve made to date. Everything looks gorgeous.

My personal size/resolutions opinions:

• 1080p - No larger than 24"
  • 1440p - Perfect in the 27-32" range
  • 4K - No smaller than 32"

Panels:

• TN - Cheap and easy, but colors usually aren’t great
  • IPS - Colors are great, but IPS glow can be a very real thing
  • VA - Kind of between TN and IPS in cost and color (brownie points for contrast though)
  • OLED - Pretty much the best you can get right now in terms of everything, but with a price tag to match

I didn’t think I’d notice much of a difference between 60 Hz and 144 Hz, but I most definitely do. Even if I’m only pushing something like 80 FPS from my 980 Ti it feels so much smoother than 60. Do I notice much of a difference in something like a 4X? Not really, but If you can afford it I fully recommend 120 Hz+ for any games with action in them.

Going to a 32" 1440p monitor provides similar pixel density as a 24" 1080p display.

Unless you have “fighter pilot vision,” you may find that things look a bit small on a 27" 1440p display, without scaling. Definitely try 27" before you buy.

Think you’ve convinced me, going to aim for 27" 1440p 144Hz as well

Rtings review is really fantastic. The last two days ago I bookmark another post on the monitor, you can take a look here https://protechbound.com/tech/gaming/best-monitors-for-cyberpunk-2077/ the site really works well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.