Pi WiFi router with VPN need some help

Hey bit of a noob here need some advice on my plan here

So my idea is to use a pi 3b+ as a VPN router I understand the limitations of the pi and it’s going to work fine for my use case however the issue im having is I need to connect the pi to my WiFi router via WiFi and then broadcast out a WiFi signal with my VPN running on it I know how to set this up but all tutorials show the pie connected to the router via ethernet but I can’t do this due to some limitations

So I need to know can I connect my pi to my router via WiFi and also use it as a router to broadcast out the new VPN secured connection

Sorry noob here

I’m not too experienced in this myself, but to rebroadcast a wireless signal I’d think you’d need a second wireless radio.

1 Like

As Altkey rightly said you need a second wi-fi antenna to re-broadcast the wi-fi signal from your router through the Raspberry Pi. My suggestion is, if you can, to avoid rebroadcasting a wi-fi signal but using the ethernet to connect to the router you take connection from and the Pi integrated wi-fi as an access point.

If you absolutely can only connect via WiFi, a USB WiFi adapter might be able to help you out. But I suggest using Ethernet if you can.

It’s possible to make additional virtual wifi interfaces without additional hardware, but it’s not super simple, and seems unreliable with the broadcom wifi driver

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=212991

1 Like

The b+ has dual band, which you could leverage, but the question I have is are your sure it’s a 3 b+ or is it just the b. The 3 b only has 2.4ghz and in that case you’ll really want another adapter.

Also if it is the b+ the driver would have to support this kind of config and it might not. Don’t know for sure.

It’s dual band, but it’s a single physical radio, but you could still have as many virtual interfaces as you like theoretically

Sure but fuck using a 2.4ghz only radio for adhoc, that’s just masochism. I can’t find any info on if the 3+ wifi driver will work for this. You can make as many interfaces as you want but if it doesn’t work in the driver those interfaces won’t do anything.