Physics discussion related to Gamers Nexus' AIO video

I wish the GN video would have tested/shown it… (Like really: I wish GN would have shown every position with their modified AIO!)

But… They did not. They only showed it for:

Maybe it was (I don’t think we were able see it):

And:

All other cases were not tested! (I basically went frame by frame to check.) In my opinion they did not make a good job at presenting the results of their “experiment”.

I strongly believe that a fifth is necessary:

I am sure the results are going to be equal to your 1) case. (Because of how Air locks/Siphons work).

You could use your figures to draw in the water for the following two cases:

• Bad initial case; pump is not running
  • Pump is running for a while

With my understanding the result for my proposed 5) and your 1) should look really similar

Here is my graphic:

Yes it looks worse, but not because of the height; the reason is the increase length of tubing.

It also looks nothing like your 4) would look like in a similar situation:

In 4) water does not reach the pump

The displayed tube is the outlet from the radiator to the inlet of the pump. (outlet from pump to inlet from radiator was ignored).

Your 5th case is just like my number 4, just with the radiator oriented differently. Which makes no difference.

In your 4) air is not able to get trapped in the radiator.
In my proposed 5) air is able to get trapped in the radiator.

The way you’ve drawn the water level in the res + tubes is not accurate to the way it would actually be. I assume theres some exaggeration here.

It could make a difference in that now you can pump air around the radiator in but with it oriented vertically that cant realistically happen because there isnt enough velocity to push the air down from the end caps.

Functionally though they are identical, and as far as makes no difference, the same.

I’m not trying to swing my dick here and flex on anyone. I used to design hydronic systems for a living. I know a couple things about moving water around :wink:

I used to be a factory rep for wilo pumps for reference and trained at the little red schoolhouse.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t claim 100% accuracy.
Could you please elaborate/draw your expected water level?

Again, could you elaborate?

Thanks

In that case, please do swing your dick!

I think everyone here is mostly on the same page and ultimately just splitting hairs in finding the most ‘optimal’ configurations. We all agree on whats the best and whats the worst. The in between stuff is just a compromise. We fundamentally disagree on approaches that are more or less optimal.

The problem with the arguments made thus far is that most coolers have less than 10% air by volume, and they dont hold that much to begin with.

In the worst case scenarios where there is enough air to create a pocket by the pump and therefore causing issues with the circulator, you have likely reached the end of the useful life of that cooler. Permeation is a real issue, but it would take so long to cause enough air to accumulate that the hardware it was on would be obsolete.

These systems arent under pressure but also dont produce much flow to cause issues with cavitation. I think the problem with Gamers Nexus as a whole is that people put too much stock in what tech jesus says and miss the underlying messages he tries to convey. Missing the forest for the trees is what we say in english.

Ultimately the best operation of these pumps is with some amount of water above the pump as this puts just a bit of water column on it due to gravity, but this is not totally necessary.

Air noise is annoying but its not cavitation and wont destroy the pump.

Having air accumulate in the endcaps is OK and expected due to this area being much lower velocity.

2 Likes

Second version of the AIO mount tier list:

Ranking criteria are:

• Cooling Performance
  • Noise
  • Longevity

Tier A – Perfect

Radiator horizontally at the top with the pump below:

Radiator in-/outlets are on the bottom with the pump below the radiator:

Tier B – Good

Pump is approximately on the same height as the in-/outlets of the radiator:

Tier C – OK

Radiator in-/outlets are on the bottom with the pump being higher:

Radiator in-/outlets are on the top with the pump being significantly lower compared to the in-/outlets:

Tier D – Not recommended

Radiator in-/outlets are on the top with the pump being only slightly lower than the in-/outlets:

Tier F – Don’t do

Radiator in-/outlets are on the top with the pump above the radiator:

Radiator flat at the bottom with the pump above:

Thoughts on the second version?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.