Photography from the community

This one from a borrowed Nikon Dslr (loved that camera le sigh)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3M5tvX0TItMX2VUR2ZzaXl0Rk0/view

These ones from an "okay" Fujifilm Finepix S4300

1 Like

2 Likes

1 Like

That looks like something out of a videogame.

Not a very good photo but important one, this is 1 of the 888,246 poppies from "blood swept lands" at the Tower of London now resting in my garden

2 Likes

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've posted here.

We are in the heart of the Milky Way season here in Australia and I recently drove 3hrs out of Perth city to the very scenic town of Dunsborough, Western Australia. This image captures the full arch Milky Way over the local rock feature "Sugarloaf Rock" in Dunsborough. It consist of 35 individual images shot on a Nikon D750 and Sigma 24mm ART lens combo, stitched in Autopano Giga.

Pure Serenity
2 Likes

"Perthling"

Many Earthlings live their lives without ever seeing the Milky Way. Light pollution from major cities spread hundreds of kilometers, engulfing the stars, galaxies and other celestial objects.

I am lucky to be living in Perth, Western Australia. The most isolated city in Australia, where dark skies are just an hour out of the city and the raw WA landscape gives a real sense of the outback.

On this night, I traveled to the Lancelin Sand Dunes, 2 hours North of Perth, and captured an image that I have been trying for over a year, The Explorer figure, coined by an amazing astrophotographer by the name of Michael Goh, which shows a person illuminated by a flashlight in a great expanse under the full arch of the Milky Way.

Perthling by Paean Ng, on Flickr

6 Likes

pigeon drinking water by Jasmin Z., on Flickr

3 Likes

Hello, I am new to this forum and it looks like a great place to learn. I like shooting my kids swim team and also lots of surfing pics. I use a Nikon d300s w/70-300 lens. Thinking about upgrading my lens to a sigma 70-200 2.8...any comments are always welcomes...here a couple of pics from me..

Here is another shot from surfing...depending on the surf I go to locally, I could be shooting at 180mm up to 280mm...

4 Likes

Why? What are you missing from your lens?

The sharpness...ive seen a lot of photos from the guys i shoot with at the beach and you can see the difference...and I think being able to stay at 2.8 up to 200mm, like they have, would give me a better shot....dont get me wrong, my 70-300 is a great lens to play with...i guess im just looking for more out of my shot...

The first image is out of focus. look at the blue thingies in the foreground. Second shot looks fine. Third is motion blurred. And fourth is probably cloudy sky -> boring light -> no contrast -> looks less sharp. Shoot at 1/1000, 1/2000, 1/4000, 1/8000, as short as possible. Crank up the ISO to 1600 in full sun if you have to. The D300s files can handle that.

The 70-300 VR is not a bad lens at all. It gets soft at the end but up to 200mm it is fine.
Before buying the sigma, try to find rental service (Calumet/Adorama/Lens Rentals...) and get a Nikon 300mm f/4, if possible without stabilizer. That is a fast, sharp lens and it is pretty inexpensive on the used market.

Dood! Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Yes, when shooting at the beach, early morning, there is a lot of overcast and I am always playing with my ISO, usually around 800...never thought about going higher or especially in full sun. I do shoot between 1/1000 and 1/1600...next time I will will crank the settings up to see what I get. I'll look into that 300mm...why no VR? Will mostly likely be using a mono on it anyways....

Thanks again...this is the help I have been looking for!

Wow my shots are nothing compared to some of the guys on here, nice work everyone!

I have a flickr account here https://www.flickr.com/photos/hitman47r/ if anyone cares, here some of my personal favorites below.

vodkalime1 by Ernie Jr, on Flickr

Applepie Moonshine Stills by Ernie Jr, on Flickr

Bob Hall Pier by Ernie Jr, on Flickr

Fireworks 2015! by Ernie Jr, on Flickr

Widow Skimmer by Ernie Jr, on Flickr

4 Likes

old cheap walmart tablet

1 Like

Here's one from a Google Street View series I'm working on.

3 Likes

I've been interested in astrophotography for a while now, but have failed to get amazing results. Here is one picture edited three different ways that I took out of my back yard. I would appreciate any tips on color temperature or other editing and shooting tips.

Shot with a nikon D3100
400 ISO
Nikkor 18-55 at 18mm f/3.5
10 second exposure

1 Like

You may want to scroll thru these.

Then if you have any questions still unanswered ask.

Hello everyone, just wanna share a couple of guides I've been working on about how to produce panoramas and 360 photospheres.

Stitching Panoramas
Projecting 360 Degree Photospheres

I hope some people find it useful :)

1 Like