Photography from the community

The Milky Way season has finally started here in Perth. I spent the 2 nights an hour out of the city at Serpentine Dam so capture the milky way rising during this early part of the season. I hope you guys like the pictures and feel free to give feedback and comments.

Stargazer : the last frame capture before the end of the night.

Scale : a 3 dithered image stack, combined to enhance the colours of the milky way core. taken with a 58mm 1.4G

Rising at Serpentine : a single frame taken at 14mm.

Serpentine Panorama : this one consist of 42 individual frames taken with a 24mm lens. horizontal rows were taken at 30 degree intervals and vertical columns were taken at 20 degree internals. stitched in Autopano Giga.

9 Likes

@SynAck hey mate. the TPE was really good and I just stood at one spot for the entire sequence and didnt move at all. that shot was actually taken the day before the full moon. The sun had just risen and gave the moon this pinkish cast.

Fantastic, images of the galaxy are always very striking, especially when you can get as much detail as possible into them and compliment with some surrounding environmental colour.

I like how there's a slight pin-wheel effect at the extremities, & it appears as though there may have been something tracking across the sky, or down through the atmosphere, in the upper-right corner of "Rising at Serpentine" - there's a thin, fading streak of white. It's not an artifact, nor an aberration from the camera or stitching, because it's not perfectly vertical but appears to veer ~0.5° from true 90°.

This would look mad over the Bungle Bungles, or if it were possible to get a shot over Shark Bay stromatolites but you'd potentially be sacrificing a tripod in salt water there, but would be very symbolic of their ancient lineage.

1 Like

thanks mate. that line in Rising over Serpentine is actually a satellite.

Here's a pic i shot yesterday at a cars and coffee in treasure island san francisco. The fog made for a pretty interesting look.

GTR by Tauss ., on Flickr

2 Likes

A nice Sunset shot of Vancouver B.C.

2 Likes

Vectorised it in Illustrator and made a 4K wallpaper.

3 Likes

You might like this too, sunrise this time. Blood Dragon anyone?

1 Like

best game

Picked up the Nikkor 20mm 1.8/f G AFS and wow I love this lens. Check out the starburst at 16/f.

1 Like

Never really posted my personal work here before hoping to do so, much more when I have the time. I'm a working Photographer. It's not glamouress it tough long days and nights I spend as much time processing as a I do shooting, Here's a selection, of some of my favorites since I started. My portfolio is here https://www.behance.net/kimmunday :)

5 Likes

Not from my home but thought I would share. Just got back from a little vacation with friends. Manuel Antonio and Quepos, Costa Rica.

2 Likes

very nice starburst. how do you find the quality wide open? vignetting, contrast, coma etc etc.

the next lens i wanna get is a 20mm. was weighing up on the nikon 1.8g or the sigma 20mm art.

Road to the Lighthouse

The Guilderton Lighthouse, a prominent feature on the West Australian coast. Located 100km north of Perth city, it is a pleasant one and a half hour drive that takes you past Yanchep National Park and the beach town of Two Rocks.

This 28 image photomosiac captures the arch of the milky way over the guilderton lighthouse and the large and small magellanic clouds. The bright light in the center are the town lights of Two Rocks.

Equipment used:
Nikon D750
Sigma 24mm ART
Gigapan Epic Pro

ISO3200
f1.8
20s x 28

Stitched in Autopano Giga, processed in Lightroom

6 Likes

I am using a D7100 so I am in the sweet spot all the time with the crop sensor. Love this lens. I have the 20mm 2.8 AF and this spanks it
I am in Vancouver Canada (Rain season) so still waiting for a nice clear night to take some astro shots, can't wait, Stupid clouds and rain!
With a min focus of 20 cm it gets in real close.
More photos to follow stay tuned.

That's cool. Just got in to photography. Want to work on astrophotography but working on a budget and in a high light pollution area so haven't practiced any yet

First photos I've ever taken with anything other then a cell phone. Had to take some of my crazy dog. Editing was lazy and done with windows auto enhance thing. Using a sony nex-7, with a pentax 50mm prime lens. I don't really know more then that but any pointers would help

3 Likes

Epic I would love to do shots like this. I use to think that you had to have some crazy setup on a telescope to show the stars. Great work