Photography from the community

Hate to burst your bubble but that aint a star mate

1 Like

that's no moon

Ofc you see it on the right? It's the same picture... The left is edited/exagerated.

Pollin is a good guess. Someone also said upper atmo ice, but this was taken at 14mm shouldn't Ice that high be smaller and not visible

Upper atmospheric ice only really happens in the form of cirrus clouds.

Definitely not stars. Way too bright in the day to see them.

I figured this would be a great place to ask this since you guys are all really into photography.

I'm looking for a good beginner camera mainly for taking photos of outdoor landscapes and such in the pacific northwest US that's $400 or less. Something simple to use would be great. Please shoot me a PM if you have any suggestions as I don't want to highjack the thread.

In the price range your looking at look for a mirrorless camera something like a Sony a5000 or a used Nikon or Cannon. The real investment is not in the Camera body because you can always upgrade bodies the investment is in the lenses. Lenses will make or break a good picture, make sure you get good lenses and buy in what ever manufacture that you would like to stay with over time.

In my opinion, Sony has the most user friendly interface and you can buy adapters to use Nikon or Cannon lenses because Sony does not have a quality lens family to choose from. Cannon has more options and is almost as user friendly and is easy to learn on with a decent amount of lense to choos from. Nikon is the least user friendly to use but has the best lenses to choose from.

cheers mate.

Impeccable timing.

I went to Savannah, Wormsloe, and Tybee

Savannah

Wormsloe Plantation

Tybee Island

For more check out my Flickr Page,Website, and I even wrote a blog post about day 1 (still working on day 2&3)

4 Likes

Just some that I like I guess. I don't think about shooting so much, critically, just kinda shoot, see what looks good, that kinda thing.

1 Like

that is a good looking bird there. Any idea on the type? Also, how close were you when you took that?

interesting. The female "scarlet tanager" is greenish-yellow in color. TIL.

See this Instagram photo by @grim.tony
See this Instagram photo by @grim.tony • 1 like

2 Likes

That looks fantastic & surreal on its side, much like the choice between life or beyond at the end of Beyond Two Souls.

Nice one, hard to pull scale/composition/exposure together & a lot could've gone wrong or owrked out unexpectedly.

Was this the blood moon that occurred recently? How stressed were you about position & changing illumination/conditions in the last few minutes before it all began to happen?

I like that 3rd shot, live music can be so hard to pull a good shot from coz you have no control over the conditions or circumstances, people throwing beers, performers moving around, lights changing, in a dim, no bright, no dim, environment. It can play havoc with depth of field options, trying to balance aperture vs shutter, can see how shallow it is in that shot and the grain that's present from ISO setting.

Looks great, love how the lighting brings out the sinews & textures.

This reminds of work by Gottfried Helnwein, a painter/photographer who has worked with Marilyn Manson, Andy Warhol, Kieth Richards, and responsible for painting "Boulevard of Broken Dreams": www.helnwein.com

I like the old man and the flute image, reminds me of an old man with a hurdy-gurdy I met just off Old Town Square in Prague one night years ago...

This might be my sort of thread.

2 Likes

Also, my Flickr page.

It's one of my favourite shots, ever, too!
Thanks man, appreciate it!!