Photography from the community

Two other splashes…

IRL there was a really pleasing gradient of GREEN -> BROWN -> TAN but I did a poor job capturing it.
Editing this one was frustrating.

I figured this one could be useful for stock use… background behind text? I was just experimenting around.
I think I over sharpened and the blacks are too deep… but whatev.

This whole round of photos was taken at Shark Fin Cove, Santa Cruz.

1 Like

5 Likes

I would really like to see you guys discuss editing, equipment and workflow in the darkroom:

The Darkroom (Photography Discussion Mega-thread)

There’s a lot of talent here.

Just gonna leave these here

^lol

^Near Pictured rocks, Upper Peninsula, Michigan

Ewoks are real!

Panasonic GM1 with Pana-Leica 15mm at 1.7.

[DELETED]

Shot on A7RII, Leica APO Elmarit R 100mm, f/16, ISO100
Two speedlights, one inside a roundflash on the camera, one behind a grid and a red gel.
Bunch of LR magic.

[DELETED]

I did a bit more work in post (plugging holes in the backplate mostly) and also changed the crop to get every single usable pixel out of it. Then I went completely bananas on the filters and everything.

[DELETED]

Levels:
Use the white eyedropper on something you know is 100% white, and the black one on the blackest black. That is a good starting point for color correction.

1 Like

Manual crop of the eclipse at apex totality done on an old film camera with an aspheric pancake lens:

and exiting totality:

5 Likes

A lady looking bored while her friends play cards in Chinatown SF.

3 Likes

Went camping at bearpaw lodge in the high sierras.

7 Likes

Do you have a RAW of the second image?

1 Like

Naturally… only shoot in raw.

1 Like

Epic.

I had to just sit and look for a few minutes while wishing I was the one who got to hike up there to take that photo. My jealous 1st thought was last night I played FarCry Primal to go for a virtual hike in the woods and this guy is doing it for real.

I especially like the way it has 3 layers - foreground, mountains and sky.

1 Like

Thanks!

I love your screen cap. I’m totally flattered!

1 Like

You are welcome.

I did tweak it a bit in Photoshop. The levels were good. I adjusted hue and saturation to make the foreground trees pop. Like -8 less blue = more green and +15 on the saturation. My changes barely affected the mountains.

Oh yea, I can see the changes now.

I think I was contented with them being a dark near object which is why I didn’t bother pulling them out. I’m also sort of a speed editor… I don’t spend a ton of time working on it. Heck, I’m still learning to edit stills in general.

Want the raw? Sending it to @noenken as well tonight when I get home. I’m curious to see how you guys would edit it. Take some screenies to show what sort of methods you use and why.

1 Like

It’s a pretty good image right off of the sensor.

If I were to Pshop the hell out of it, I would leave the mountains untouched, overlay a transparent sky to tint the real sky bluer and then do more work on making the foreground pop while leaving it dark.

Sky color burn

Sky 25% transparent overlay

Mountains untouched

Trees (excluding the rocks) Levels midtones 1.02 lighter. Hue -19 greener. Saturation +37 intenser.

final

original

1 Like

Wait till you get the raw… lol

It was pretty bad visibility due to the fires and it was basically 100% overcast.

Went derping around with a friend in SF “baths” area near “lands end”.

2 Likes

Took these with my Galaxy S8+

4 Likes