PhoneBloks: The phone made to last (This looks amazing)

Check out this idea somebody had for a phone that's almost as customizable (hardware-wise!) as a computer.  Just watch the video to check it out.  Basically, this phone has blocks on the back which contain every component of the phone, and like legos, they are removable and changeable; so if one thing breaks, you can simply buy a new block and replace that one individual part.

Another thing I like is this:  If you never use bluetooth, you can remove that bluetooth block and get a bigger battery.  Or if your processor becomes outdated or slow, you can get a new faster processor block.  Or, if you only want a very simple phone just for calls, you can scrap the storage block, bluetooth block, camera, GPS, temperature, wifi, and gyroscope to have just a battery, cpu, speaker, 4G, charge port, microphone, headphone jack.

You can even select a number of front panel styles, each removable, and shown in the picture below.

Support the idea by visiting the link below!

https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/2931-phonebloks

I can't find the thread but on reddit they pretty much summed it up as an engineering nightmare and pretty impractical to be made, which is unfortunate as it's a good idea.

I like this idea, a sort of phone on a bread board. Its just a case of getting it to market and into production is the issue.

Like is the market actually ready for a DIY build your own phone.

Already got a similar post: https://teksyndicate.com/users/redneck-nerd4311/blog/2013/09/12/phone-interchangeable-parts

So can this one be deleted?

EDIT: Other post deleted as this one has alot more comments than the other one.

I was just about to post this!

It is exciting but everyone gets a turn for each topic, so no need to replicate the post.

So just because it's hard means we shouldn't do it? I don't know a single engineer that would say that.

This will probably flop just like the Edge...

well, the edge was a realistic design that had a impossible monetary goal

this is an enginering nightmare and will never make it a micron off the hole in the ground, just like a pc, if i want to add more power i just swap out the part that effects the speed, what a 3930k doesn't fit in an am3+ socket? and even if it did the motherboard couldn't possibly support it? and even if it did software designers would have to spend  countless man-hours to make it so that the operating system could handle that the processor just changed to one that operates completly differently?

"This is why engineers hate designers"

- Reddit comment which I found very true.

It's an awesome idea that I'd like to support. But I don't have nor want any of the three accounts that I need to support. I have doubts that this idea will go through, but I sure want it.

An interesting concept. I would buy one if they are affordable.

I think the main problem they would have to overcome is universal circuitry. If they really put the time and effort into making it so that no matter where you put something it would always work, it could be an amazing phone, but it would take forever to figure out how to make the entire backboard universal.

It's called a System-on-a-chip for a reason. Although you would have to put some serious manhours into making an FPGA that simulates the PCB, i could be possible, but having different size 'speed blocks' matter is just a designer's high. (As a block of any size larger than 2x2 would melt your hands). 

If you put the actual operating system in the "speed block" on 8 gigs of embedded nand  you pretty much have the basic concept of how shit's going to work. The essential processing parts go in the middle and the motherboard has an FPGA that routes circuits in a manner that would be logical. ( and a nightmare to write ) 

Essentially the motherboard is not an actual motherboard, but a router that identifies components and routes them to the actual motherboard (Basically a more complex, modular southbridge), which is embedded in the 'speed block. 

The rest is pretty much BS too. You're going to wind up with broken locking mechanisms and space for blocks you do not need .

However though. There IS a place for it since it's basically what mediatek devices are right now - the same damn device with differing peripheral components.

I'm with Linus on this one guys. I know some general knowledge about electrical engineering and this concept isn't going to work very well as hardware in the mobile sector changes every 6 months.

But that's the point in this entire phone concept;  Instead of replacing your iphone 5 with an iphone 5s just because of the fingerprint reader and slightly faster CPU, you replace the blocks that those take up for a much lower price than buying a whole new phone.

You aren't going to get the same performance hanging onto the same platform when the platform changes every 6 months. Pretty soon 32-bit phones are going to be obsolete, they are currently working on 64-bit cell phones since they now have the ability to fit 64-bit processing in a small enough form factor with the least amount of power consumption.

The core entire package of Phonebloks is going to be so bulky it will be impractical because you will have to figure out a way to have processor packages attached to a PCB then have that PCB connect to essentially a multiplexing breadboard. The phone will probably have to be 1-1.5" thick just to work.

The only way this kind of design will work is if a single phone manufacturer implements it. It's actually less cost effective to engineer something like this than it is to design a brand new platform every 6 months. So, with that being known, I do not see a major phone manufacturer picking up this concept and running with it.

I really like this phone and idea. I like it when things are made to be versatile, adaptable and durable. I know it may seem impossible to us now; however with this many people throwing the idea out there someone with the resources might just try at it until it gets better and better. They just need a very rough prototype to polish and a bit of incentive.  

But keep in mind that it's not like there are four different companies making different processors for the same backboard (like on a PC, you have AMD, Intel, etc.), so there's *less* room for error, and I stress less because there's always room for errors, but still there's only one company making one type of speed block for one type of backboard.  

Now what I think would be a good idea is to delegate one section of the backboard specifically for each type of block, and then have different thicknesses instead of different lengths and widths.  Then they can put a backplate over the back of the phone to compensate for the different thicknesses of the blocks.

The only problem I see with this is complaints that the phone gets too bulky, or that it somebody jams a battery block into the spot where the storage block should be, there could be short-circuits, broken pins, etc.  So to work around people putting things where they don't belong, they could make different shapes for the pins, so a circle won't fit into a triangle, a square won't fit into an abnormal pentagon, and so on.

I'm still not sure how you'd work around the bulkiness though...