Phone got stolen. Need a rec for a new one

Went with the G6. Amazon said it would be here tomorrow if I ordered within 13 hours and that was 3 hours ago. Now it says fucking tuesday :confused:

Fuck life. I have goddamn people I need to call dickwads. Don’t give me false information like that!

Oh well. It’ll be a bitchin phone.

Nokia 8 Sirocco

https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_8_sirocco-9087.php

Nokia are back and back in a big way. AndroidOne devises that get timely security updates and are about to get Android Pie in the next few weeks.

The 8 Sirocco is the current flagship phone from Nokia. I would still have a look at the 7 plus If I were you as in my opinion it is a better fit for your needs. It’s lacking the IP rating you requested. Cheaper and more robust than the 8 Sirocco as it’s milled from solid aluminium. I bought mine from Nokia.com for £350 on the day of release a few months back. so it’s far from an expensive phone, but looks and feels like one. I have had no performance issues and the battery is epic. Common to many of these mid range phones you are not going to see the super amazing screen of a flagship Samsung. This is true of more phones at this price point.

I have an LG G6, so I’ll just run a few pros/cons out there.

1. Glass back felt weird to me coming from a Nexus 5x (that bootlooped)
  2. It’s really temperature driven. Over the cold winter the phone was almost too cold to the touch sensibly for a bit, in the summer while charging with the screen on it gets quite hot to the touch.
  3. Poor software update schedule. We got 8.0 Oreo a couple of months ago, and I’m on the 1 April 2018 security patch level. I’d be VERY surprised if I get 9.0 at any point.
  4. Nice screen. It’s not an OLED, but it’s damn nice. I’d turn off ambient display off though, it’s a little flaky on the movement/presence detection.
  5. I think there’s a weird thing with wifi and touching one of the antenna bands in poor wifi conditions, but I think that’s something strange with my setup/house more than the phone.
  6. The power button is built in to the fingerprint scanner on the back. You can still use the phone when it’s flat with double-tap to wake the screen. It’ll feel a bit odd at first, but I like it.

TL;DR Decent phone, especially for the price.

1.) Had a GS7. Pretty sure that’s a glass back, right?
2.) I live in Florida. It’s hot here for 9 months, “cool” for 2, and “cold” for 1. Never snows. Phone will always be in my pocket, or in a climate controlled environment. In a case, too.
3.) Well, I’m pretty sure a software update was what started my GS7 restarting on it’s own accord 3 times a day. Hated that shit.
4.) Good, but what’s ambient display? Is that the same as an always on display? Because I like and want that…
5.) It’ll be in a case. Should I be worried?
6.) I’ve played with a double-tap-screen phone and liked it. Won’t be an issue. I actually kinda wanted that feature despite it not being a priority, so, just another plus to this phone.

TL;DR: Yeah, for $370 unlocked, it’s killer. Previous year flagships are the shit, haha.

One phone should come free rverytime you buy a VW Scirocco.

1 Like

I had a MKI Sirocco back in the 80’s 15 foot of snarling rust, great car…

I bought a Nokia 7 Plus just over a week ago. Can agree, one of, if not, the best mid range phone on the market. Priced a little higher than other mid range phones but it has a Snapdragon 660 where 99% of the alternatives do not. There is a massive difference between the 660 and the 630/5 most phones of this price have. The 630 is not a power house, the 660 is like a 835 minus a few extra features (5G support) and a les powerful GPU, but still powerful. Seriously good phone and the build quality is stellar.

Only two complaints. One is the NFC coil is small, making it hard to use from time to time and the second is the screen isn’t the latest gorilla glass. It’s actually an earlier variant with better scratch resistance but likely to break if dropped. But it’s been years since I have broken the screen on a device (iPod touch 4th gen)

1 Like