Philosophical Reading

@biolinguist – This is cool man. I’m somewhat a fan of Chomsky although his political outlook sometimes leaves me bummed out.

Also checkout @biolinguist’s page on Chomsky, it’s hella dope!
https://www.eversincechomsky.com/

1 Like

What book would you recommendation to someone who never read any philosophy before?

1 Like

To start off an introductory text book such as The Philosophical Journey by Lawhead and / or Questions that Matter.

That’s only if you are wanting a strong introduction as a starter to kindle your flame – once you get past these texts you can read whatever you want. The point is to show chronological history of ideas and how the next generation of philosophers dismantled those ideas to progress into current day thought.

One thing I have always reached for in my personal philosophical bias is criticisms against my most cherished beliefs. For example, if I found myself more and more enamored with the thought of Bertrand Russell, I would actively seek out criticisms and differing viewpoints that destroyed Russell. The progress in philosophy is the ability to arrive at what you judge as a better conclusion than one that has been handed to you or by popular belief. I was struck by Wendell’s ability to apply this level of critical thought back in the TekSyndicate days, and thus I am still here.

1 Like

Cool. I’ll check them out…

Even though I’ve not read or watched philosophical contents but I have lot of interests in these areas. Mostly all my own ideas and philosophies. I get overwhelmed real fast with new information and also sometimes I think reading others philosophy will consume me… But I’m thinking of trying something which will be easy on me… :grin:

I consider Wendell to be my mentor…

The Philosophical Journey by Lawhead | Questions that Matter

2 separate books.

Lawhead is about as neutral as you can get, it’s a great introduction to threads of thought from the greek forward (eastern thought is also considered)

He mentors all of us in his own way. I think that’s why he draws such a diverse audience. I think that since the split of teksyndicate, it was actually quite a philosophical debate among the community which caused it. From what I witnessed, Wendell stands on the side of the fence that protects people’s speech and contributions to the forums, even if he may not necessarily agree with them. And he will always most certainly take that high road because that’s who he is as a person.

1 Like

True… I consider him as mentor because I know he will not say anything which will involve any alter motives. at least not on purpose. It’s a trust thing for me. also he decodes a lot of things in world for me… that’s actually incredibly helpful because I don’t have to deal with hyper-concoctions personally. Level1Techs is the my goto source for news but that too gets overwhelming sometimes so i have to limit it to few episodes. thanks goodness that news is now split into parts… :slightly_smiling_face:

Not a fan of /pol/ although there are some good books in the list.

1 Like

History of Western Philosophy: Bertrand Russell
Problems of Philosophy: Bertrand Russell

2 Likes

You have GOT to be fucking kidding me:

2 Likes

yeah, there is quite a bit of cringe worthy stuff in that list

2 Likes

I am currently pondering on Stoicism and applying it to my life. It’s something I’ve been doing unconsciously for a long time but it’s good to consciously apply principles for a finely tuned mind.

The most popular book on the subject is probably Marcus Aurelius’ Meditations but Seneca’s Letters to Lucilius are also worth a read.

If you prefer your philosophers come from a tough background Epictitus was a slave and stoic philosopher.

1 Like

There does seem to be a recent revival in Epicurean ideals, this I evinced through some groups on meetup.com.

Y’all might want to read The Linux Philosophy for Sysadmins (and anyone who wants to be one) by David Both.

When I was in school I read

Don’t know if it is or will be translated to other languages but this is a collection of rather “old” writings about how while / after the industrial revolutions on what kind of ethics a person has to have when working on huge machinery and on repairing things. After reading this I looked completely different on the jobs that I had (all of them technical in nature) in which you were allowed specific parts of the tech.

And still, after nearly a decade from reading this, I can still argue points based on the arguments laid out in this little book in regards to my superiors and customers. Which is proof to me that those ideas are correct in their nature and they are explained in a manner that are easily digestible.

2 Likes

Very interesting contribution. It’s now on my wishlist!

1 Like
2 Likes