Philosophical high times with Dje4321

We’re in a time where the majority of the populace prefers iterations of the same thing or idea. Look at the Marvel universe, or cell phones.

Personally I like new ideas. Specifically the taking of cool, original ideas and making cool, original movies or TV shows. It doesn’t happen often, and when it does it usually flops. Probably because of the reason in my first paragraph.

Can this thread also become a random thoughts from other users thread? Because I was reading Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang and there was a cool idea brought up.

So, a ray of light will always takes the shortest route possible. How does it know the route it takes is actually the shortest route? How does it know the destination before starting? How is the calculation done, and what does the calculating?

I’m not a scientist, but that idea has stuck with me for a month now.

I’ll say yes to anything with Emma Watson getting the Fremen eye treatment.

Throw Kate Beckinsale in there as the mother and you’ve got a winner lol

1 Like

The statement is more of a philosophical than scientific. The idea is that a ray of light is moving in one direction and no matter where it is going it will always go straight to the end destination, taking the shortest ‘path’ to it. Imagine it as a line that goes straight from point A to point B.

However this statement is not entirely supported by science while theoretically it should be possible in reality it’s not. Because light changes its speed when it moves through different materials and also can be slowed and have its direction changed by gravity. But in ideal solution like in vacuum and with canceling gravity forces theoretically it is possible to travel like this.

There is a bit more to that:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Astro/eincros.html
One quasar, 4 lights, which one took the shortest route? The fastest?

Read some classic literature and you’ll realised that that happened centuries ago.

They all did. All of them traveled in a straight line. It’s just that gravity warped space.

1 Like

Was thinking about long term space travel and how its going to end up in the really long term. Ive come to a conclusion about the nature of space guns and how that is going to work out in the end.

We have a 100% chance of getting space guns for the simple fact that you can easily just fly away to some random ass spot in the solar system and just work on it. Your lab could be the size of a decent sized city and there would be no way to even detect your there unless you are close enough to even see them. So the question is what do we do about it? Do we just sit around and wait for it too happen or do we become preemptive? What if that breeds decent among the population about the government not caring for the safety of their citizens.

So we now have space guns. That means we get space pirates :smiley:. How are we going to deal with them? Does each planet have its own form of government with its own private militia. Do we just form as a federated union that governs everything space related. Why not just leave it up to the ships to deal with the pirates?

A VERY dark but interesting story idea i had.

It starts off with a single person inspired by their towns homeless situation to try and do something about it. They try too accomplish that by starting a for profit comany that helps assign people to jobs that suit them to the task they are good at. the company is for profit because the mentors that they asked guidance from have intentionally led them to a corrupt path.

They start expanding the company to beyond homeless people and soon after too other cities. Along ever step they take some kind of shortcut to either cut costs or gain a advantage of it competitors to squash them out. The shortcut could be either cutting costs on like the time spent checking applications, bribing stores to only use their service to get a bigger monopoly.

Eventually they get so big that rumors of the government getting involved starts to go around. This forces them into the lobbying game to try and keep there position. It has such a positive effect at not only shutting the government up but also bending the law into their favor.

At this point the character eventually realizes what they have done to not only the company but the government and society. They try and spread word but what has happened but they find that everyone has become complacent and just accepts it. The story ends with them standing in a alley way, chugging down a bottle of vodka and putting a gun to their head. the last you read is the gunshot going off

My reboot idea is the opposite of late 1990’s early 2000’s reboots where they turned old “serious” tv shows into tongue in cheek comedies.

I’d like to see a series where sitcoms from the 70’s and 80’s are redone as dramas in 3 or 4 episode arcs.

Imagine the premise of Different Strokes if it was written in a serious tone. How dark would shows like The Jeffersons and All in the Family be as dramas? Who’s the Boss?

1 Like