Phenom still good?

I am in the process of building a budget gaming pc. I know that the fx series is usually the way to go, but what about an older phenom ii 965 BE.  I have heard nothing but good things about those processors, even though they are from 2009.  I also saw that the single thread performance is better than the fx-4300, but that may not be true.  I also only plan to use this for a year to 2 years, then I will probably upgrade to a 8350.  I found one new for a great deal, so I was just wondering if it was worth it.  Also how badly will this bottleneck a r9 270.  I can also oc it if that will help at all. 

A 965 will compliment a 270 or 270x quite nicely in a gaming build, especially if it's overclocked. That CPU is still an excellent option for gaming, despite it's age.

Ok thanks would you say that this is accurate? http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/154/AMD_FX-Series_FX-4300_vs_AMD_Phenom_II_X4_955_(125W__rev._C3).html  if so this is better in raw performance vs the fx 4300.

i have an AMD 955 Phenom II OC to 3.6ghz and i still love my 5 year old baby, i use with a single AMD 7870 which is the same as the r9 270, also i got a second card for crossfire and it started to bottleneck so im getting my fx8350 next month.

tldr - your fine get the 965