Phenom II x6 1055t Help With Overclocking

I have never overclocked before, so I used the asus overclocker utility to overclock my system for me.  It left it at 3.6 ghz, but when I was running prime95 afterward,  The temps would go up to 90 degrees C, then the clock would go back down to 1.067 ghz for a few seconds, cool off to about 78 degrees C, then repeat.  I never would have thought It would get that hot with a coolermaster hyper 212 evo.  I just recently replaced my motherboard because my other one crapped out.  Thats why I'm overclocking now.  I'm not sure if my cooler is just bad, or I put it on wrong.  If anyone has any advice or needs more info, I would love to hear about it.

AMD Phenom II 1055t

Asus m5a99fx pro r2.0

8gb Corsair xms 1333 mhz ram

Seagate barracuda 7200.12 1 tb HDD

Thermaltake 700w tr2 psu (80+ bronze)

EVGA Gtx 560 sc

If I recall correctly, Phenom II's don't much like being above 62*c. I definitely think you don't have the cooler on properly. It should get a little warm at 3.6GHz, but not nearly that warm, unless it's pumping excessive voltage. Check the voltage first, but my money is on the cooler as the issue.

the voltage was at 1.4 volts, from what I read, I should be able to go upto 1.5 volts just fine

yeah, sounds about right. Time to re-seat the heat-sink. And be sure to go with the pea or grain of rice method while applying the thermal paste.

I just took the cooler off and discovered about 30 percent of the CPU had no thermal paste, this time I will use more.

Now it runs at 59 degrees with prime95.  Thank you