Phaselockedloopable- PLL's continued exploration of networking, self-hosting and decoupling from big tech

I just wanted to share that this company has been really amazing with support. I moved and now the power adapter fits loose in the socket on the unit and if it gets bumped even a little it can lose power. If I hold pressure on it it works fine. I dont think it’s the products fault but mine. Its a really solid unit.

I emailed them and opened a ticket yesterday with a copy of my receipt and got a email response today. They are offering to replace it free of charge. I sent them my address and asked for a expected ETA. They called me within 10 min of my email to confirm. They said they would be sending out the new unit today and it should be here in two days along with a return label. I didn’t have to send mine first which was nice. They also offered to install “coreboot”, which can be tricky, and also OPNsense as well so it’s ready to go. I’ve been very impressed by their service and support. I just thought I should share for others considering this unit.

5 Likes

@SgtAwesomesauce guess we know they care about their support

2 Likes

Although I kinda want to get away from x86 on most of the things I have, this kinda makes me want to support ProtectLi. I’ll have to check their website if they have ARM products that can run OpenBSD.

2 Likes

nothing wrong with x86 tbh, especially if you can coreboot it.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong, except for power consumption. But given, this little puppy can and does run as low a power draw from the wall as some SBCs.

2 Likes

need some great feedback. Nows the time … I want to keep going but IDK what people want?

Moved to infrastructure series

3 Likes

FINALLY off microsft/github

Nice trekkie theme you got there for the pihole

Oh yeah LCARS… Fun

1 Like

Dang, CAT8 for free?

Hey, it’s me, your brother, do you have any extras?

Just kidding, haha.

1 Like

I have really been struggling with what to run on my phone, and by extension, what phone to get. Root breaking the Android security model is frustrating, because I feel that it is sometimes the only way to get full control of my device. I have a phone I flashed to lineage, but it is frustrating because I didn’t flash gapps and so I can’t actually do some of the things I need to do with the phone for work (for example, I need my calendar to sync and remind me of meetings, without that functionality I kind of don’t even need a smartphone).

I might just buy another iphone, as much as it pains me to say that. I think my only reasonable alternative at this point is a pixel with grapheneOS.

Full control of any android is a meme. You cant evaluate the firmware completely? Even on lineage OS and root!=full controll

the only way IMHO with android

Most secure phone if you can turn off voluntarily a lot of the stuff apple wants you to use. To their credit they let you do this

Yeah, they do, some of things they are doing now, like the photo scanning feature, give me pause though. They occasionally make a good stand on privacy, and then turn around and do something that is completely opposed to privacy. I want to like them, but it is frustrating. I’m hoping that their lawsuit with Epic will make them a little easier to live with, but probably not.

I do recognize that full control of an Android is not possible, but there are some really good things you can do with root that are handy, like enforcing granular app permissions. Unfortunately, most App makers have adopted a “take it or leave it approach”. By that I mean that in order for the app to run at all you must grant it access to far more data than it needs.

1 Like

you dont need root for that on android 12 and 11

like what? Root is a hack. Root is not needed for these things. Teaching your app to use the security framework is all you need

1 Like

I haven’t paid attention to Android in a while. I guess that is improved since the last time I really looked at it. Thanks for the info!

When you develop an app. Any app can access low level stuff… IF you program it into the security framework… properly… it can access stuff even like low level stuff on the battery but people are lazy and dont do this so they just dirty hack root it

I think you said this earlier in the thread, but what kind of phone do you use?

1 Like

My next big step in automation

ANSIBLE

Getting the git folder ready to master and place all my configs so I can push them with ansible

Im thinking this will be my directory strucutre

etc
├── baldr
│   ├── cockpit
│   ├── openssl
│   ├── ssh
|   ├── nginx
│   └── sysDservices
├── bifrost
│   ├── cockpit
│   ├── compose
│   ├── doh