Pfsense with hardware raid?

Planning on setting up a pfsense router and I know the whole argument about ruining a nas.

I do want to attach hardware raid storage in the same box as a redundant network drive, not freenas.
I don't need all the extra services running just redundant storage on the network mapped as like drive L.

Is this possible ?
I've never touched pfsense so figured I'd ask.
This will be for home use nothing fancy behind it.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I think that would only work if you ran both in a VM.

pfsense as far as I know does not support nas.
"proof"

You need another OS or some other piece of software that enables you to handle a NFS volume. If you run a really basic 1 core 1 thread VM with 512 or 1GB or RAM along the PFsense installation you can get it done pretty easly because NFS is really really light on resources. You could use SAMBA too if you wanted to but that's a bit heavier than NFS (but not by much).

Never rely on hardware RAID controllers. That is just asking for data degradation.

Since PfSense is based on BSD, you should be able to install Samba (to create the network share) and ZFS (for software RAID) on your PfSense box.

NOTE: This is not recommended from a security perspective but technically it should work.

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=57475.0

Yea, I just really want to cut down on operation cost, I don't have a static ip, computers are usually off when not in use, and usually using note 5's to look up information and research between working full time swing shift.
(Continuing education )

Don't see the point in wasted room and power consumption for multiple boxes and although vm may be the only way.

I've had terrible experiences with such setups unattended for long periods :-(

But I am interested on your comment about data degradation over hardware raid ?

Hardware Raid controllers are not reliable when it comes to error reporting. They sometimes simply don't report if a disk is breaking. They just use the disk until it fails completely. RAID is not a backup. If you want a backup, take one disk for you daily use and write a shell script or use a tool like Rsync to synchronize data between your production and your backup disk. The problems with hardware RAID configurations led to software RAID solutions like ZFS or Btrfs.

You'd also have to worry about driver support for the RAID controller in pfsense.

While it's probably possible to configure samba or NFS in pfsense if you do it outside of the GUI, it's not recommended by anyone. And for the amount of work and potential issues involved you are better off just getting a small NAS device and use that instead.

@JYoung also: Why not just put another HDD into your PC and configure your PC to use Rsync or tar + crontab to copy a backup version of your home directory to that HDD? On Windows and Linux PCs you are able to create network SMB/CIFS shares on your PC and make them accessible from the network. If your PC has no room for another HDD, just get an external one. That would minimize your costs and would not force your router to become a NAS.

1 Like

I'll give a reply later tonight, pulling 12hr 3rd shift and just pulled up at work.