Pfsense recommendation help please

I have FTTH 1 Gig down/up connection. Currently on a consumer Asus AC88u router, have several devices set up to use the (slow) VPN through the router.

I’d like some recommendation to get better Wireguard (or OpenVPN) speeds preferably as close to 1gbps as possible? , solid reliability, and some ad blocking. Newbie, but not afraid to tinker with stuff, would like some room to add features as I learn more about Pfsense.

Have been looking at used Dell optiplex, HP ProDesk G4 400 and qotom boxes, but feeling overwhelmed with options. So any help appreciated.

Protectli makes really nice ones, and you can pick pfSense or OPNsense. We have one, and @PhaseLockedLoop does, too.

1 Like

I can second that the protectli is nice

Opnsense is not as stable as pfsense but it works. Hardenedbsd and libressl are its primary differences out of the box from pfsense

The protectli comes with core boot

If you have an FTTH connection and you seek to push that bandwidth with IDS/IPS then go for the more power variants in the 6 point or build your own. The FW4B won’t do that with IDS. Turn IDS off and its fine

1 Like