pfSense PPPoE with Centurylink?

I’m struggling to get a pfSense 2.4 router to use PPPoE with my CTL 2100T modem. I’ve verified I have the correct credentials. I’ve tried VLAN tagged-201 and untagged but its still not working.

Is anybody familiar with this issue by chance?

Make sure the modem is actually in bridge mode. I have had to enable it a few time to get it to stick in the past. Make sure you only have 1 PPP interface. If you have more than one PFsense won’t stay connected or connect at all.

In my experience I have not had to use a vlan with centurylink.

Try to connect manually: status > Interfaces > connect.

Yes it is in transparent bridged mode. I’m trying a C2000A now instead.

Oops I had left MTU at default of 1500. Forgot transparent bridged mode uses 1492.

1 Like

Hmm. Still fighting it. If I plug directly from modem into computer I can setup a PPPoE connection without any problems. But still no luck with pfSense.

What are you seeing under
System / Routing / Gateways / Edit (WAN_PPPOE)

Post what you are seeing in the PPP log. ( Status / System Logs / PPP)

Looking like 1 of the 4 ethernet ports on this micro j1900 celeron motherboard is bad. I only need 3 so I should be okay. Reconfiguring now. (I repurposed my old Synology RS409 chassis to make this)

The PPP logs always showed down. But the summary screen of pfSense showed up once I did 1492 mtu so i thought I was close.

Yep it was a bad ethernet port. I’m in business. Thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the credit. All you :stuck_out_tongue: . Glad to see it working now!