PfSense LAN + OPT1 Bridge on VM

So I’ve been trying to set up a little network. I have an Ubuntu Machine running PfSense through Virtual Box. On the VM I have 3 network adapters, one bridged adapter to my main network (WAN), one bridged adapter to a physical ethernet port which connects to an external switch (LAN), and a “Host Only Adapter” (OPT1).

What I want is to be able to connect to the host (OPT1) from the external switch (LAN). From both the host and the PC I have on the switch, I can connect to the PfSense router. I’ve setup the OPT1 and LAN as a bridged connection in PfSense and set firewall rules in OPT1 and LAN allowing connections from * to *. However, I still can not see the host (OPT1) from my other PC (LAN). Here are my settings.

Could you guys help me figure out what I’m doing wrong?

Which hypervisor are you using?

Virtual Box

Cheers. Sorry can’t help you (i’m a VMware Workstation user), but hopefully somebody can. the hypervisor choice is info they’d need to know though.

1 Like

You’re right! I should have included that information

I have a similar setup, excepting I have two interfaces, OPT1 and OPT2, which comprise my physical and virtual interfaces respectively. All VMs connect via a bridge on the hypervisor that interfaces with PfSense via vtnet0, and all physical connections occur via a switch interfacing with PfSense via bce1.

BRIDGE0 is a simple bridge of OPT1 and OPT2.

There are two settings under System -> Advanced -> System Tunables: net.link.bridge.pfil_member and net.link.bridge.pfil_bridge which should be toggled to work with the firewall (I’ve forgotten the actual reason):

net.link.bridge.pfil_member = 0
net.link.bridge.pfil_bridge = 1

Does any of this sound relevant to your situation?