Pfsense issues with ip addresses

I recently set up a customer pfsense box for my home and I’ve been running into a bit of an issue. I am very much a noob when it comes to advanced networking. It appears that pfsense is not giving out ip addresses. My access point which is a ubiquity AP AC lite seems to be working fine, all my wifi devices can get onto the internet just fine so it looks like my AP is giving out those ip addresses. But when I connect through Ethernet, neither my Windows or Linux computers can connect. Is there a part of the setup that I missed?

Ok, so I just figured out what was wrong, there was only one lan interface configured. I have fixed it using an 8 port tp-link unmanaged switch for the time being with everything including the Access Point plugged into it. Now the problem is: I have no idea what setting to use for the other interfaces. is there a guide out there for configuring the pfsense interfaces? or is someone willing to help me out with that?

Yes, there is a great guide:
https://www.amazon.com/pfSense-Definitive-Christopher-M-Buechler/dp/0979034280/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=pfsense&qid=1553669201&s=books&sr=1-5

If you are more the visual type, I can recommend this series:

As you found out, pfSense (mostly) configures the first NIC, additional NICs must be manually configured to your preference, depending if they should be included in the default LAN, a separate subnet, or be subdivided into multiple VLANs, etc. Some folks put their WiFi hosts on a separate subnet, which makes it easy to filter which, if any, traffic is able to access the default LAN. You need to define your network needs/topology, before you can determine how to configure these additional ports.

1 Like

It’s possible to set up the interfaces on the pfSense as a switch but it’s generally recommended to get a separate switch due to better switching performance.