Pfsense in esxi (solved)

Hi guys
I had plans to run pfsense on a standalone server but that has fallen through so I decided to run it as a vm.
I have everything setup and it is running nicely with all devices connecting through it. However on the same host I have a mint vm that is my media/games server. Is there a way to make it connect through the pfsense vm? It is currently just getting its ip from the modem.

1 Like

It's only ever so slightly more complicated than doing it normally.

This documentation may be helpful. I haven't done it through ESXI but I did do it in Hyper-V.

https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/PfSense_2_on_VMware_ESXi_5

1 Like

Awesome thanks for the quick response. Will have a read.

Edit: pfsense is installed and running its the other virtual machine I want to connect through the pfsense one.

1 Like

How is your network configured in esxi? I haven't used it so I can't be very specific but if you create a bridge with the physical NIC for both VMs so that both the mint VM and the pfsense LAN interface share the same physical NIC then the mint VM will be on the LAN network.

2 Likes

You're welcome. I'm not sure how I would do this say at work with our ESXI system since I don't great insight to it, but basically you just give the VM access to two NICs, one in one out, and that's about it. You can bridge them as well but I chose to give it access to the physical NICs in Hyper V.

1 Like

Yes they both use the same physical nic. I am unsure on how to make the mint system use a virtual connection to pf

You'll set that up in the hypervisor. Instead of doing bridging you can give it straight access to a NIC.

1 Like

as long as the virtual interfaces used by the VMs are both bridged to the same physical NIC then they will both be bridged and therefore on the same network.

1 Like

Yeah I did that for pfsense it receives from one port and sends out the other. It's the mint system I'm not sure how to configure.

No doubt it is something simple that I am missing

Your LAN connection on your Pfsense should bridge to your local machine.

1 Like

OK I will try and explain this better.

Pfsense receives on eth0 and exports on eth1
Mint only sees eth0.
Mint is connected to the network but is bypassing pfsense

Sounds like you've bridged it with the wrong interface

2 Likes

I agree with @Dexter_Kane.

Might want to check your hypervisors NIC configurations.

Ah so if I change it to eth1 it will pick up pfsense dns?

Will give it a try

Yeah. Think of it like this. eth0 is the WAN interface for pfsense, it connects the modem to the router and that's it. eth1 is the LAN interface on pfsense, so if you bridge that with the network interface used by the mint VM then that is the (kinda sorta) equivalent of connected a mint machine and a pfsense machine to a network switch.

2 Likes

Done now waiting for it to boot. For some reason it's taking a while.

For some reason my web manager died last night and I had to get physical access to it to turn on SSH.

Lets just say getting to my PFSense box is a pain in the ass.

all done and working thanks guys,

3 Likes

Just watch out for vulnerabilities that allows someone to break out of the virtual sandbox and access the root filesystem. Very unlikely, but it's been done at least a few times.

yeah i have seen that reported. Not really a issue here the main server is only for plex and minecraft servers.
I seen on hackwire about the edge exploit allowing to get out of the vm.