pfSense - Electricity Cost

i don't over or under clock, so I am honestly not sure. Sorry

I think I found a solution.

$4.49 + free shipping

whats your build?

Short term, or long term?

The ALIX board I showed you would pay itself back in ~17 months (assuming absolute worst case power consumption).

Embedded hardware has a much longer life cycle than consumer gear, a board like that will stay relevant for a while.

But it's your choice. That Dell GPU is a good option if you want to go ahead with the current hardware.

well... since I'm already at 200-ish Mbps it would seem silly to buy hardware less capable than what I have and close to being capped already when it would take 17 months to break even. Google fiber is making it's way to my city and will prolly be becoming available in a few years. I don't want to invest in hardware with such a low cap.

Doesn't really matter if it can't handle more than what I already have.

Welp! Got down to 86watt with this solution and one less fan running so the noise is better.

1 Like

how does tthis compare to running a regular router? Thinking of building a pf sense box myself.

Edit: Originally said buy a smaller GPU, then I took the time to read the thread...never mind lol

Maybe figure out the typical wattage draw and buy a nice 80 plus rated power supply that's about 80% of that, if you haven't already? I'm no expert but I've heard PSUs run best at 80% load, and no sense wasting energy as heat from your PSU.

Buy one of these and be happy. 40w rating

1 Like

if only they had intel NICs

I totally agree and wish all these small board options had Intel NICs but they are low cost. For a home application it really doesn't matter.

@eidolonFIRE, how much are you paying per kWh?

1 Like

The average in CA, USA is about $0.15/kWh
However, it changes greatly based on time of day.

I have no experience on this, but I hear that unless you are trying to push beyond 400-500Mbit/s, another brand is fine and stable, what are your thoughts?

I dont know where you are, but my lowest tier is 16¢ per kWh. My next 2 tiers are 23¢ and 29¢. California has the highest electricity rates in the nation.

I was talking with some guys in Ohio. They pay $35/mo flat for the first 5000 kWH, and $45/mo up to 20,000 kWh.

oh really? I'll have to double check on my bill what tier I spend most power in.

What electricity price are you using for your calculations? In Europe 1 KWH is around 20c, in the US it's about 10c as far as I know.

Opening post:

$12 per month = $144 per year

0.108 kW (OP's measured figure of 108 W) * 24 hours * 365 days = 946.08 kWh per year

$144 / 946.08 kWh = ~15 cents per kWh

ALIX board (assuming worst case power figures):

0.01 kW (10 W) * 24 hours * 365 days = 87.6 kWh per year

87.6 kWh * $0.15 = $13.14 per year = $1.095 per month.

I live in the Netherlands, electricity here hovers around the €0.22 ($0.23) mark. For me it would take less than a year to make back this investment.

Graphed:

Based on a fixed rate of $0.15 per kWh, and a $180 initial investment for the ALIX setup.

5 Likes

there are celeron SOC's with dual NIC's just sayin

1 Like

This one?