Pfsense and Ubiquiti questions

If the router is providing the service, then you don’t need a forward (VPN is probably the most common example, but it applies to any service).

As an example, if you open up port 22 WAN —> Router, you’ll be able to SSH into the router remotely (not that you should ever do that). If you open up port 22 WAN —> LAN, then the traffic will go nowhere without port forwarding.

Yeah, I was being general

1 Like

Update
I got my ap up and running I just plugged it into my netgear switch and used the control software to set it up. I can connect my wireless devices to it and I can get a network connection. The ubiquity interface is pretty easy to naviage which is a plus I was a little bummed that I can not see my ap through pfsense but this is probably a much easier solution and works perfect for my needs.
I decided to do some speed tests just to see the performance gain unfortunately I don’t have any picks of the before only the after.

Before off of my Actiontec MI424WR Rev.1
hard line
39 down 45up
wifi
24 down 35up

After with my pfsense router and ubiquity Ap
hard line

Wifi

Not to sure what the deal is with my upload speed on wifi I will have to do some more testing on that but pretty good results all in all.

Update your firmware

update
I updated my firmware to version 3.9 but this still did not have a significant impact on my speeds. I also reinstalled my laptops os becasue for a while it was not getting updateds and I thought that might of had an effect. I then checked other devices in my area and they were all using channel 1 so I changed my wifi channel to channel 6 and my speeds improved.