Pf sense router replacing ISP's router issue

So basically i've been looking into PF Sense and it seems really interesting and has capabilities which far exceed the standard ISP router which is provided, so I want to replace the ISP router with my PF sense PC, the only issue is that in the UK the router connects to the ISP through a phone line, so the only way to currently connect my PF sense box is by plugging it in to the ISP's router with an ethernet cable. This seems to defeat the point of using a more powerful router if packets need to pass through the stock one to reach it.

So my question essentially is how do I use the PF sense box as my only router instead of having to run it through the ISP router? (This is probably really obvious and im missing something stupid.)

2 Likes

You might be able to set the ISP Router into a modem mode.
Or you could maybe build something like my gatekeeper.

3 Likes

Does your ISPs router make this noise?

The connection will require a modem of some sort. Cable providers use the docsis standard for instance and any docsis 3.0 modem will work with my ISP. DSL may be the same but I'm not sure. You can always add the pfsense router after the ISPs provided combo modem/router.

Worst case you setup a DMZ on your ISP router, and set the pfSense WAN address to be that DMZ IP.
It's double NAT, but at least you only have to setup one set of port forwardings on the pfSense system if/when you do that.

1 Like

Yeah im going to buy a modem without a router and try that, thanks for all the replies.

DSL is different. Only certain ISPs allow your own modem. AT&T is one that it is not possible to use your own modem unless you have fiber.

Cable internet is different. But even some DSL ISPs will say you can use your own modem but it won't work no matter how hard you try.

You can go one of two directions (its actually the same direction)

I assume you have VDSL (Fibre to the cabinet).

You should either get a cheapo VDSL modem. Or get a Draytek 130 VDSL mode. The draytek is the better choice, it'll never go down but it is more expensive.

Throw your junk ISP equipment in a box. Its not only not really as good, it also is subject to the UKs new laws that allow the government to force the ISP to put a backdoor in your modem.

(side note, if your with BT you can get IPv6 but the settings are funny. It reportedly does work with pfsense but may require some tinkering. )

yeah I really don't like the normal router modem access point combo thing, which is why I want to set up a seperate router and then get some access points to connect to the router, my main concern is I buy a modem and it wont work because of the ISP requiring you to use theirs, but I will look at that one you recomended and see if it works.

That doesn't happen in the uk. (Except maybe virgin?). A/VDSL is basically standardised. The draytek comes with the settings of all the isps so it just works. They can't force you to use certain equipment.

2 Likes

If i call my local ISP they can remotely turn my modem into a dumb switch so that the dhcp sends the IP to my WAN port. I assume that is so port and router settings, of the two machines, don’t conflict.