Personal virus scanner like Virus Total

So I want to use a VM or VMs to have multiple virus scanners that can scan stuff in a network folder. Something that would permit me to have say 5 or 6 virus scanners found on windows including clamav that I can use. What is suggested? Is there a project similar to virustotal already out there? I want it for my family members that always run sketchy stuff.

Basically just a server that I can use for people to upload files to that can be scanned. virustotal works for files up to 250MB If there is anything that is larger than that it doesn’t work.

If your going for the functionality of VT you want to capture the malware actions not just checksums.
A project like https://cuckoosandbox.org/ will work for this purpose, tho please spend time on network separation as the detonated files should be treated a very hostile, example worms and crypto ransomware that will wreck shit!!

2 Likes

I doubt you’ll find any free projects that utilize multiple AV engines due of licensing restricts. Pretty sure VT only has access to all those engines because they are feeding samples directly to the AV vendors.

I know this doesn’t answer you question, but any chance you could just move them to ChromeOS or Windows 10 in S mode? I’ve moved a couple of elderly friends to ChromeOS for that very reason and all the problems went away!

1 Like