Personal PC Security 2017

Other than common sense. What other tools do you use to safeguard yourself against the wretched underbelly of the internet where virus, malwares and other stuff roams free.

Well for me, I use Malwarebytes, Windows Defender (It came with Windows 10) and Ccleaner.

I know the news going around ccleaner but I had it for so long now and from what I heard the malware is from a specific newer patch, so I should be safe. (I think)

Any suggestions? Share yours here!

EDIT: I know that we’ve multiple threads about this subject but most of those are at least a year old. Good security come and go in different ways. Whats in before might not be in anymore. So this is like a little update for those who are interested.

Linux

But if you must use Windows, a good adblocker is absolutely necessary. Plenty of infections happen via malicious ads.
I run NoScript together with uMatrix myself, regardless of the OS.

3 Likes

DD-WRT on Router.
AV - Avira
Malwarebytes
Spybot: Search & Destroy
Spybot: Anti-beacon
VPN - Nord
Tor browser for accessing google services.
FF extension. uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Privacy Badger, Privacy Settings by Jeremy Schomery

1 Like

I personally like Private Internet Access for a VPN. Of course it is a USA based company and a lot of folks have that be a show stopper outright. But it works well for me, hell I can even game over it, the ONLY game I have tested out of about a dozen or so that has lag with it is Guild Wars 2.

Malwarebytes is of course amazing

In terms of tools that protect me, that is it other than as you said, common sense

1 Like

Firewall: pfSense
Browser Ext: uMatrix

I also use Linux and good browsing habbits, so, not really worried.

1 Like

Is Avira good? I’ve always thought that most anti-virus are pretty much that same. That’s why I stick with the Windows Defender. Also why do you use the Spybot softwares? Isn’t it redundant since you have Malwarebytes already.

Forgot to mention this but, I too have uBlock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere for chrome.

PS. I should really get into pfSense.

Currently doing what most others do, adblocker etc etc. However there is one “unique” thing I do now. I recently upgraded my main machine to play games do work and the like. I decided to keep my old one, and run linux on it. the fun part is, I’m not connected to the Internet so the only access it has is physical.

IMO this is the safest way to keep any sensitive information that you need to store on a machine (I understand this is absolute overkill) but it’s kinda fun to have. Also cool to learn how to use a machine without an Internet connection. Would be even cooler to do with something super low power like a raspi.

1 Like

Windows:

• Seperate admin user
  • Spybot anti-bacon
  • Simple software policy - http://iwrconsultancy.co.uk/ssrp/
  • uMatrix
  • Freedome VPN - filters out junk and malware as long as it’s unencrypted
    (No running active AV, even Windows Defender got nuked)

Linux:

• Normal user doesn’t have sudo rights
  • Confined all selinux users, even root (yes, root is not king of the hill anymore)
  • Disabled ptrace
  • Blocked normal user from running stuff that ain’t installed, even scripts
  • Web browsers run in a selinux sandbox
  • Polyinstantiated directories
  • chmod 700 home dirs
  • uMatrix
  • Unknown usb devices are ignored
1 Like

Avira is ok, The only thing they could do away with is a medium size pop up window in the right bottom corner. It doesn’t make any sound it just wants you to upgrade to premium version. It pops up every time you start up computer. AVG is spying, Avast was too intrusive (blocking P2P traffic, deleting key-generators).

Spybot does other things, I think it scans for registry edits, tracking cookies and the like. While Malwarebytes is only for bad files. Anti-beacon blocks some Microsoft domains in a host file.

Chrome is basically sending all websites you visit to google. You should get rid of it.

1 Like