Permaculture. Any one heard of it? Any one practising?

Hello peoples.
So I realise this has little to do with the content of the show but it's something that hugely interests me.
It's a term coined by Bill Mollison and David Holmgren, to refer to permanent agriculture. Establishing a piece of land to work in unison, and in more natural ways. Often people unfamiliar with the practice might look upon a garden designed with permaculture ideas and think of it as messy, but you wouldn't call a forest messy would you?

Basically just wondering if anyone else is into it, so let me know.

I'm not familiar with the term you are using but that's just how you are supposed to do it. You plant certain things during certain times to create different effects. You plant this thing so you can eat and or enjoy it. Then it dies or stops providing food/enjoyment for a while. In the meantime you attract birds with things like water features and here's a pro tip. Buy a seed bell, break it apart and sprinkle it around your "bird area". Depending on the size of your area it could be a small chunk or the whole thing. The birds will get used to knowing where the good stuff is and some of the seeds will grow and continue to attract birds long after you've used the one seed bell.

Allow clovers to grow in the winter months. They push nitrogen back into the soil. Compost heaps are a cornerstone in any properly maintained ecosystem. And if you haven't tried grafting something onto a superior root system give it a try. Your tree's with be super awesome and people will crave your fruit with an almost unhealthy zeal. I know that sort of strays from the natural or organic way of doing things but it works and you aren't really getting science involved beyond knowing how to do it.

I wouldn't worry too much about it considering much of what is discussed on this site is not directly related to the show or it's topics. I'm a tech junkie but I hardly talk about it here. I'm more interested in having intelligent conversations about any topic really. And frankly, more intelligent arguments/fights but that's not anywhere near the top of my list. Cool topic, I hope you have more to say about it.

Can you give some more info? Maybe pics? link? videos?

Never heard it called that heard of agroforestry and some the other methods used. Neat stuff. Most of those techniques won't work were I live due to it being semi arid scrub land.When I get some land I will look into it.

I had a landlord that hired someone to do this. It was miserable. Your yard looks like shit and has leaves everywhere. It attracts mice. It causes your house to rot if you try to do it up near your walls. It will lower your houses value unless you have a brilliant idea to make it looks nice.

The idea is not to grow just food though, like using the clover, food plants will generally only be 1/4 - 1/3 of what you grow. Growing trees for leaf litter, plants to attract bees and other insects. The use of animals to prepare land for planting, ie fence chickens into the area they'll scratch it up and poo everywhere leaving a nice bare piece of land ready to be re established with what you want.

So, planting messy trees and ignoring your yard?

Oh know there aren't pretty edged gardens with plants spaced perfectly.
Sorry I personally disagree with this thought, people thinking they can make something more beautiful than nature intended is ridiculous imo

Google Jordan permaculture food forest.

I did :) that is why I mentioned agroforestry

1 Like
1 Like

Wait you've seen the Jordan food forest?

The idea is to not have a yard, too much effort (mowing) waste of resources (watering), establishing the land with thought and planning your able to grow food with little input after the initial set up.

Jamón Ibérico is produced through agroforestry that is how I know of it

1 Like

Oic. I'm watching the video you posted. It's a much larger scale than what I was thinking. I could totally get into this.

1 Like

Yuss as long as one more person is interested then this post was worth it.

You should look into Aquaponics... it's a similar principle but it takes less space aand isn't terrible looking... stays clean, takes less time to set up, and produces both veggies and protein... original investment is a bit for a greenhouse but last time I did the math on it for a 1000sq ft greenhouse it would make the money back in 2 years if you were doing it for profit...

Though it works best with leafy veggies and herbs like lettuce and basil...

Aquaponics is something incorporated into a permaculture design. With managing water movement across the land you'll establish ponds which can be filled with fish adding nutrients to the water as it continues its path.

Edit: also I looked into this method in detail, but here in New Zealand it's not as profitable due to restrictions on imported fish. The quickest growing fish are all banned. Natives take up to three years to reach maturity.

That's in Spain isn't it?
This is what I was referring to.

was taking a look at it

interesting