PCPer talk about their investigation into RyZen odd performance benchmarks where they found some interesting information

Stands to reason it would matter much less when you're GPU limited.

I have been trying to explain to people since I saw the first review, that it is a Data Fabric Bandwidth/Contention issue causing the problem that is only seen under a specific, fairly unrealistic circumstance and that the CCX thread switching and any apparent scheduling issues were a symptom of that constriction. The faster memory will certainly help but I suspect that there will be more things that can be done to improve things even more like optimized compiled code and reconfigure devices at the hardware driver level to make better optimized use of operating system features.

Two days ago, Raja from Asus over at OC.N even told me I was basically an idiot and needed to go to school to get an electrical engineering degree before he could explain to me why I was wrong and what was really happening.

I think that the thing that is catching these guys out is that they are assuming the chip architecture is the same as Intel and the behavior would be similar. AMD have engineered Ryzen so that the Data Fabric provides a standard foundation and they can add different types of modules to it to make different products without having to start from the beginning again which, I think is a clever approach once the wrinkles are ironed out with generation 1.0.

Soon their product development will be like - We need 16 core/32 thread CPU SKU. No problem, just add an extra 2 CCX modules, maybe 2 more memory controller modules, and an extra 30 PCIe lanes to the receipe and you have a 16 core smt chip with quad channel memory and 54 PCIe lanes for the Ultra enthusiasts. Combine with a new socket/motherboard that supports more pins and more other stuff and you are good to go.

1 Like

Remember when you were getting mad triggered when we were talking about Ryzen memory speeds and how they're not that good?

:>>>

<3

I'm going to just assume the Infinity fabric or whatever is just duct tape. Seems sound.

ryzen memory speeds... arent that good so you are pointing what out exactly?

also the infinty fabric is only a bottle neck at 1080p ... and even then only kindof a bottle neck so

and only when you use a Titan, 1080TI or 1080 with slow memory. 3200mhz ram looks like it makes it a non issue

It appears that 1070 is not powerful enough to create the bottleneck, at least to the same levels as the 1080s

The only problem with all that though, is the 2666 is the fastest officially supported ram speed....so ram speed is not the only thing needed to completely resolve this. Getting there though

3 Likes

It's been reported that due to all the latency issues within the AM4 platform, it's suggested to use G.SKILL Flare X RAM for better stability/compatibility w/ Ryzen.

Pretty much any samsung B-die kit will do, it just so happens that most tech reviewers know jack about RAM.

More data showing improved 1080p performance with higher memory speed with a 1700X.

The 1700X is capable of beating the 7700k in some of these just because the higher memory speed.