PCPer gets Adored

Minute 33

I like Adored but I unsubscribed a long time ago when he didn’t have a lot of subs under his belt. The guy got too involved in doing backlash videos. The guy’s channel is all about critical thinking of tech press and points a lot of stink at other tech press. The thing that irritates me is that the guy can’t seem to understand that people aren’t going to like this and are going to throw some back, of which he (at least back then) couldn’t take and had to jump onto his channel with a rebuttal video to have the last word.

There’s definitely appeals to peoples’ sense of gossip and drama, but as long as you can realise this and look into the facts instead of the drama – its actually decent stuff. Mostly.

Imay revisit some of his stuff now, as this seemed to be good coverage.

The video is about ethics in tech journalism. The first part explains the responsibility of the journalist to the readers. The responsibility to present the right facts, hold themselves accountable, etc. The second part focuses on pcper. There is a conflict of interest from Ryan Shrout and Allyn Malventano. Ryan Shrout(Editor in chief at pcper) owns a company called Shrout research which released a white paper on intel’s new optane ssd. Allyn Malventano(storage editor pcper) wrote the actual paper. Intel paid for the evaluation and gave them the products to be reviewed. The pcper article uses the optane hardware, special testing software, and information from the white paper, but makes no indication as to where all of it came from. This is one of many instances were pcper has violated ethics in journalism. He goes on to point out many instances were this has happened.

It’s good video but a long one. I would suggest you watch it and come to a conclusion on your own. I will have to rewatch it because there is a lot of stuff. I’m doing this from memory so be aware of telephone game effect.

3 Likes

To spell it out, what they then did was to, after producing that commissioned white paper, turn around and publish a review that just happens to emphasize exactly the same talking points (and which reaches the same conclusions) as in the (paid-for) “white paper” that they wrote.

1 Like

aw looks like the video was pulled :frowning:

The video was kinda silly anyway. Those first couple of examples? Just dumb, he obliviously don’t know what happens behind the scenes when talking to people at big companies like Intel, AMD etc. And he keeps jumping to conclusions about Shrout Research. If he really wanted to know, why not contact Ryan privately and ask about that kind of consulting work?

Nope, lets instead make a flame-bait of a video, then take it down when it has stirred up some shit and says that he does care. Rings pretty false to me.

He also has got things wrong. Scott Wasson for example, still owns The Tech Report.

1 Like

The author hid the video as private while waiting for a response from PC Perspective.

I don’t think he had to do that, but I understand the reasoning.

1 Like

Pretty par for the course from Adored, makes big assumptions.

2 Likes

Apparently before you post something like this the opposition should have a right to respond first then you publish. He found that out over twitter after he uploaded. So that’s what he is doing now.

Also largely due to the fact that, like every time he posts a video, his fanboys start a crusade harassing and attacking anyone disagreeing or offering even a slightly more nuanced opinion.

Whole thing is pretty childish IMO but that is par for the course with most things involving Adored

2 Likes

Clearly there is no way that someone pointing out possibly shady stuff could ever be shady themselves. Also you can post lies on the internet, everyone knows that.

He also likes to nit pick about something rather unimportant and then go and say that it is connected to something unrelated. Him contradicting himself when he had his little stint with hardware unboxed was kinda funny. I haven’t paid much attention to him in the last year or so.

Also, this tactic of “caring” after the fact is pretty scummy. In the twitter thread where he is berating his toxic fans, he keeps playing the good guy. If he really was the good guy he wouldn’t have posted this kind of video to begin with.

1 Like

I do like the way adored is taking his content. There is much wrong in the tech journalist space. And after hardwarecanucks lash out i highly agree about not holding back anymore.

2 Likes

What is wrong in the tech review space? All outlets are bias of some flavor even in the real world news, that’s why you watch/read from multiple places and form your opinion on what the tech is like.

Damn did anyone cache the video, I wanted to watch it again… hopefully it will be up again soon.

What part of it did you want to watch again?

Everything… please

PCper (Ryan) has a side business where he offers technical writing services such as white papers for companies. Adore thinks this against the ethics of journalism and makes PCper unable to give an ubiased opinion when they take contract on a that sutff. Points to one product Xpoing that they did a white paper for and says its unfair because they had extra samples since intel hired them to do a white paper for launch and they also did an review.

2 Likes

You know, this Wendell guy does a lot of work on the side of his Journalistic Reviews Of Hardware. Maybe he works for Intel/AMD/Nvidia/Apple/Qualcomm/Huawei? Clearly a bought shill, let us all start an internet mob and etc. That Grizzle person looks suspicions. He had a white shirt in a video. Apple makes white phones. He works for Apple secretly!

Also I need more beer, will shill for beer.

Let me crucify someone in my video…

10min after posting

OMG guys stop harassing them!

5 Likes