PCPer gets Adored

In the last Mailbag and Podcast videos of PCPer, Ryan was mentioning his other company and basically stated ‘nothing special, don’t worry about it’. I did find that odd but I didn’t think about it any further.

Well …

4 Likes

Just got finished watching it.

Ryan and Allyn are probably going to need some aloe vera cream for that burn… or an ashtray.

2 Likes

Does Adored actually cover technology, or just drama?

1 Like

He mainly covers tech press. Which is needed obviously.

4 Likes

He watches the watchers, which is nice to a degree.

I like him for comparing benchmarks from different sites, makes it easier to get a picture of the situation and spot errors.

3 Likes

What’s the TL;DW?

4 Likes

I actually like what Ryan is doing with:
https://www.shroutresearch.com/

It’s clear it is more focused on tech from a business or market perspective. It is different enough to distinguish itself from pcper. I don’t see it taking away from pcper at all and it hasn’t. I’ve read alot of the blogs on there and they are pretty good read.

Like this one on Spectre:

I’ll keep reading both pcper and the shroutresearch stuff cause I’m interested in both.

Why not?
Every site and youtube channel has some flaws. The more you read/watch, the better the picture.

2 Likes

Intel is a business partner of Shrout Research. They pay Ryan and Allyn to write white papers. The same guys then do reviews on exactly those Intel products.

For me that does take away a lot.

At that point they are not any better than LTT. Actually when Linus is being payed to make a video, like some silly build with the word ULTIMATE in the title, that is always transparently marked as sponsored content. The situation at PCPer is way worse.

7 Likes

I do get where you are coming from. They also have consulted with AMD, Nvidia, and others:

https://www.shroutresearch.com/testimonials/

Yes they are doing of these products by companies they have also worked for but their reviews are very in depth. Their test are standards by which I do measure other reviewers against. HARDOCP and GURU3D are right their with them in how those sites review.

I don’t see any deception or evil intent from Ryan or the others on this from what I’ve read and seen.

1 Like

Of course they are in depth and of course they have almost always very interesting things to say. I also want to say that I don’t think all of the PCPer staff are involved in this.

But the fact is you can not claim to be a tech journalist if the companies that are making those products are also the ones you have deep business relations with. That is a conflict of interest.

Until this is resolved, PCPer is a PR-outlet in my mind.

And I am currently a PCPer patron. Which I won’t be anymore.

3 Likes

SemiAccurate says Xpoint memory sucks and does not work, some other sites report on the same issue with their sample.
Pcper does not. Either luck or paid review

SemiAccurate does not get any review sample of the new xpoint drives, other big review sites don´t either. Even LTT, who does work with Intel in sponsored projects, has only 2.
Pcper has 4

AMD has an affiliate link on their website. The affiliate link of pcper.
Either luck or paid… strange a custom crafted link is beeing used by AMD, not some random link obtained by surfing arround amazon.

I am not saying some tech company is working with malicious intent. I am however saying the marketing department at AMD and Intel are buying advertisements.

I was just about to post this :smiley:

Its a very interesting watch and I hope adoredtv helps keep these people honest.

The tech press have so much power to influence purchase decisions so its crucial that people like adored keep on pointing out inaccuracies / things that look shady.

1 Like

interesting.

You realize pcper buys tons of shit they don’t get totally sampled

You realize that Capone did pay most taxes?

1 Like

That adresses one issue.

Any explanation for AMD using Pcpers carefully crafted amazon link?
Or the non-update of the FreeSync vs G-sync video/article?

It is simply a contract! AMD or Nvidia (or Intel) went out, sealed a deal and now PCPersepctive has to roll with it (or get dragged to court for breaking contract). I had a class at uni where we looked into marketing. It is comon business practice in all sectors to “buy reviews” (at least in the B2C markets, B2B is less about reviews but more about service contracts).

1 Like

And you are certain of this because of how casually they mention ‘buying’ something (which doesn’t preclude their receiving money (back) from the same company at another time, etc.)?

That aside, can’t say I’m all that surprised, given how in the loop Ryan is, and how much he enjoys being that – that usually comes about because marketing departments know your worth.

I mean its Adored, both the most irritating/childish but also researched.

1 Like

Hello Anandtech…