PCIe passthrough with just one graphics card and no IGP

Hi, i’ve seen some of the PCIe videos and think i’ve understood most of what wendell showed there.
But i was wondering if its possible to have a Linux host OS and several Windows guests with one of them having the graphics card used. So no graphics for the Host, just SSH access via Putty on one of the guests. This way i can keep control over what the guests are sending home to MS and starting them on demand (hard user/usecase seperation for example). Have anybody done this already? Linux should boot fine without any graphics adapter, right?

It’s doable, but I don’t have first-hand experience. @Vitalius how’d it work out?

3 Likes

TL;DR: It didn’t due to the hardware.

Try search “boot vga passthrough” in Google.

I’m using boot VGA (GTX 1080Ti) for GuestOS1(Win10 or Xubuntu17.10).
Second VGA(HD5770) for GuestOS2(WinXP)
Third VGA(RX550) for HostOS(Xubuntu 17.10).

Tnx, but as i mentioned id like to stay with only one GPU in the system and have a terminal only or remote desktop only linux host system.

I understand. Only one GPU (dedicated to GuestOS) mean “boot VGA” passthrough.

I am doing this at the moment on my server.

The way i did it was by disabling the video bios in the system uefi under the CSM settings.

The “downside” is that in order to change anything in the uefi you will have to reset the settings but once you have everything setup this is not really an issue.

1 Like