PCIe Passthrough "Not Supported"

yep. might get in touch with the bios modding people and hear what they have to say

Thanks for the help. will let you know how it goes :smiley:

I was thinking of doing this on an Acer laptop (VN7-592G Black Edition), however it seems a daunting task. I could try it in my spare time though. In trying to determine whether my laptop supports virtualization, I checked under Windows Task Manager, and it says that virtualisation is enabled, however in my BIOS I see no option for turning virtualisation on or off, so I suspect it is not supported by the manufacturer.
I would like to pass through an entire drive potentially and my dedicated graphics card under Linux. I would start off by installing Windows on a dedicated drive. Does anybody know if I can just boot into this drive directly and use it as normal, and then later use it for pass through? I think Wendell was saying that if you install chipset drivers et al on the drive, this could lead to some issues with virtualisation under Linux?

Step one for determining VT-d is looking at the ark. Your CPU supports it. If your CPU supports it, the chances are that your motherboard will as well. It’s one of those easy things to just add in.

The problem is going to be passing through the GPU. Your mobile GPU isn’t wired like a desktop GPU and unless you really know your way around a soldering station you’re going to have a bad day.

It’s definitely doable, but you need an entirely separate phsyical storage device. Like one SSD for Windows and one for Linux. From there, you unplug the linux SSD, install windows on the other one and have a ball. Windows 10 is fine with installing chipset drivers, since it will purge any conflicting drivers when you put it in a VM. (at least, in my experience, with a Z170-A)

1 Like