Pcie Gen4 NVMe Questions?

Well, I was honestly thinking the same thing… But my guess is more on the side of “slow HDDs will be left behind” more than “NVMe will become requirement”… But to be fair I don’t see that happening in the next at least couple years.

IMO just get like intel 665 or Crucial P1 / ADATA Swordfish etc, 2tb for like $180-$200 for a games drive, you dont need higher perf that that imo. Could stay sata if you wanted for a bit cheaper too, I just like less cables

yeah thats a good point it will be several years before that happens and faster drives will probably be out then.

1 Like

Yeah thats kind of why I’ve started this little project because it doesn’t make a lot of sense to have so many drives that I can replace with 1 or 2 lol

Having only gen4 drives in my new system it’s hard for me to argue against it but I will

Can your system take advantage of Gen4? If not don’t pay a premium for it now!

You have some good drives in your current setup and you have some spinning disks that could be relegated to long term storage

I would do FIFO the oldest disks gets replaced, ideally any spinning disks.

See if you can get a larger >2Tb SSD disk on sale or several :slight_smile: so you at least do not have less space

Then your system will be more homogeneous across all drives around the 500mb/s apart from your nvme

In the end it comes down to $$ do you want to spend the extra cash?

Future proofing only makes sense when you plan on using those features. IE no need to get an PCIe Gen 4 M.2 if you don’t need it now. By the time you need it, new tech will be out and if you don’t need those new tech features, the older tech will be cheaper.

My recommendation would be go all SSD and start retiring spinning rust. I run an all SATA SSD shop. I have not need for NVMe yet (Poor Dozer). When I build my next system (Ryzen 3 or 3.5) then I will look at PCie Gen 4 M.2and see if I need it then. If not I will go PCIe Gen 3 M.2 because, it is cheaper and still faster than my SATA SSDs.

As mentioned FIFO is a good process to follow unless there is some bad tech in between.

I would like to go all ssd; however, I didn’t want to spend too much money. But literally, as I’m writing this I realize that 199 for 2tb sata ssd and 139 for hdd; I would probably be better off getting two 2tb sata ssd’s for 400 since it’s only a 60buck difference.

The only issue with this route is I’m getting 4tb versus 6tb. I’m currently using 2.7tb out of the 3tb of spinning rust.

2 Likes

Just for the what it is worth of it.

I have 2 Sabrent Rocket M.2 drives. One of the stupid fast copper coloured ones and one of the white Rocket Qs. The fast one is 500GB and my boot drive and the white one is a little slower 2TB and is for fast storage, I absolutely do not utilise their speed and could have gone with slower drives.

I also have a Crucial BX 2TB Sata drive that is for safer fast storage of stuff I don’t want to lose to imploding rust, like my music and pictures and so on.

I am also slowly moving away from HDDs, at this stage they only hold games and anything I am okay with losing.

I also have a 970 EVO 500GB in my NUC.

Purely for boot speed it depends on the system. The Sabrent is faster but on the 3700X system it still boots slower than the 970 EVO on the NUC. We are talking a few seconds, nothing world changing.

Before this I booted off a 850 PRO Sata and I don’t notice any change in system responsiveness or boot times, they are all faster than I have any need for.

I still run all sata SSDs in my personal rig because nvmes don’t really do much for gaming. With that in mind i’d go for a Sabrent RocketQ it’s about the same price as sata SSDs but much faster.

1 Like

What’s the opinion on Inland drives?

I know Wendell has some but not sure if he did a video on them. They don’t exist in Europe as far as I know so I have never encountered them.

Why. Get a mini-NAS box (itx) and shove all the extra sata drives in there.

OCZ

Maybe it’s time to do some housekeeping in your files LOL :joy: says the man with gazillion terabytes most likely with triple duplicates, not touched for over a decade…

The point is do what I say, not what I do :crazy_face:

Take the 2x 2tb of fast storage, clean up no be happy :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I decided I am going with all SSD’s now. I will have to do some cleanup, but it will be tough. My movies and music is 3TB; while the music is pretty much what it is, the movies I probably can trim down a bit.

is it worth saving music and movies anymore?

Music, always if you like it. Unless you only listen to stuff that’s repeated ad nauseam on pop radio stations, you could have difficulty finding things again 10 years from now. License agreements will change, and seeders will disappear.

Movies are the same. If you really like a particular translation of anime or some other not-really-mainstream shit, expect a hard time in the future finding it again in a way that hasn’t been fucked with. You can safely delete Shrek 3.

1 Like

Yeah, this is pretty much why I haven’t deleted my movies. I’ve slowly added various movies to my Bluray collection; since the fidelity is better. But yeah I get tired of having movies coming and going on streaming platforms. Or with dates, friends, and family they want to watch a movie and we cant stream it, but I can stream it via my PC.

1 Like

I always invest in the physical media if I like it. May find it on a stream, but if I want to keep it for ever, then I buy, rip, then store the physical copy.

Yes, it feeds into my hoarding psychosis.

2 Likes

Yes… I don’t even know on what service are the movies I want to watch. There are like 5 bijillion streaming services nowadays.
The music maybe not so much, since everything is on youtube, but I still have my MP3s on my phone when I just walk around. It’s handy to have some library at hand…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.