PCIe adapter with four M.2 slots

I think that’s an overkill for me - especially price wise.

Probably going to go with the x4x4 card and plug it into the second slot. The only problem is that I’ll need to get a new PCIE4.0 riser cable for my GPU, since the whole thing is running at PCIE3.0 speeds (although at 16x in the first slot).

I think I’ll just mail Asus and ask the question directly - that is, if I do populate the second PCIE slot with a x8 card which has 2 NVME drives, would the first PCIE slot work at x8 or would it automatically bifurcate to x4x4. (I really don’t see why it would do this)

Completely understand regarding price.

BUT, I would recommend that you stick with the ASUS Hyper M.2 card and not buy another brand. Looking through the manual and researching setups, there is nothing out there that shows the bios using the word bi-furcation with your model mobo which is a big red flag to me. And it looks like your model possibly does some auto adjustments to the PCI-e depending on the M.2 slots being utilized which makes me think ASUS is using some sort of verification through hardware ID to work with the Hyper M.2 auto magically. And If you go with another brand, there is the possibility that it will only see one of the two M.2 in the card due to it not being a true 4x4. Look forward to seeing what you do and how it works.

1 Like

Hang on, so Asus is pulling an Apple? Those bastards.

I suppose there’s only way to find out. But I’ll have to postpone the whole endeavour - it’s gonna be a busy couple of months.

But once I get the new PCIE 4.0 riser cable, the two new M.2 drives and the adapter, I’ll revive this thread.

Do you think the memory glut is gonna continue for the next few months? Germany is already in a recession, so prices might go down even further. (yay inflation… :sweat_smile:)

Don’t count on it :frowning:

Well… We can only hope. Where I live, the only industries that we are seeing prices starting to drop are in Real Estate and vehicle industries. Personally believe that the tech industry will probably be the last industry to see price drops due to the high demand that is still happening. But then again, with everyone going into a recession, we might see prices drop in Q3/Q4 as stock builds back up because everyone is saving money. This is all speculation and based off stats presented by the media and governments. So take it with a grain of salt just like my speculation.

Good Luck and look forward to hearing how it works out.

I kind of doubt it. I have an Asus board that has PCIE Raid Mode on the top PCIE slot, and it mentioned it as x4x4x4x4 mode in previous bios versions. No mention of HyperM.2, but the feature is an X570 chipset feature rather than an Asus feature.
The pictures you linked above also mention Hyper M.2 x16 card or M.2 adapter cards, so it’s doubtful that you need a Hyper M.2 card. Since they mention the two together, they wouldn’t be referring to enterprise PCIE multiplexers I think, so it would be the same splitter adapter.

Especially given the price disparity comparing branded stuff vs the cheap knockoffs, for what amounts to a glorified cable squished into a PCB, I’d just get the cheap solution. Save yourself $60 or however much.