PC won't start (urgent)

My components are:
ASRock h170 pro 4s
EVGA supernova 850 G3
Sapphire nitro + radeon rx 570 8gb
Intel CPU BX80662G3900 Celeron G3900 2.80Ghz 2M LGA1151
Silicon Power 120GB SSD 3D NAND
1 x Crucial 4GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000)
these and mouse and keyboard are the only things that i have plugged in, I have tried resetting all of the cables and ram and gpu and the two fans on psu and cpu are doing nothing and screen is not showing anything although I am using an old panasonic lcd tv as my monitor

possibly plugged cables in to wrong places but I dont think so, vga 3 to gpu vga 1 port on psu, g3 cable sata 1 psu port, 2 4 pins to cpu 1 on psu

I just built this system today, also has remained on cardboard case this entire time
i tested the psu at the beginning and it works

(also I am looking to install ubuntu on this)

Reset CMOS. Try that first, and we can go from there.

2 Likes

I reset it and removed the battery for a few seconds and put it back and I still dont see anything

Power supply switched on? (Had to ask)

1 Like

Pull the system out of the case and place the motherboard on the motherboard box and try again.

BIOS at version P1.40 or better if you can remember?

8 pin CPU power plugged in?

Mobo

1 Like

i haven’t been able to get it turned on ever

yes it is

What actually happens when you try to power it on? Does the board have a speaker? Do the fans turn? Pull all the ram and see if it sings you the no ram post code. If so put only one stick in and see what it does then.

Edit:also get rid of the GPU and use only the on board igpu for now. Remove all unnecessary components so it’s only what you need to get into the bios.

Try putting the ram on different dimm slots.

Are there any signs of life, like fans twitching when booting, leds lighting or the beeper making noise as Adubs asked?
If there are no signs of life try to unplug drives, kb+mouse and gpu.
If you are getting signs of life but no image make sure you have plugged your monitor to your gpu and not to the mobo.

Don’t you need to disable the igpu in bios before you install GPU, in other words, you have to make sure the igpu is disabled in the Bois before a discrete graphics card will work properly.

no fans turn I dont know if there is a speaker or light on this board I have looked for both and can’t find one, and i did try the ram complete removal as well as every slot still nothing removed gpu also

Most of the time no. It should autodetect the GPU and set it as the primary output but that’s “most” of the time. You could be right but I don’t think its that. This is a fairly modern board which should “just work”.

this motherboard has to be dead right?

Some boards package the speaker separately in the box and give you a header to put it on if you want it. Do the fans twitch even slightly when you hit the power button? Are you sure you have the power button on the right pins for the front panel header?

Edit try jumping the power pins manually with a screwdriver or something just to rule out the switch itself.

there was nothing else separate in the box and I have never done that will have to look up a youtube video also the fans do nothing at all

Just find the front panel header, usually at the bottom of the board, the manual will show you the layout of it and find the power switch pins, they should be labelled. Touch your screwdriver to the pins to close the contacts and that should turn it on assuming it’s working properly.

1 Like

Assuming the you still get nothing with the mobo jump starting my guess would be on a broken mobo. Though in a rare case a broken CPU can cause similar problems.

1 Like

I thought the trouble might have been the IGPU wasn’t disabled in the Bios, but now I am leaning towards either a short in the motherboard or the CPU isn’t seated all the way down in its socket.

Edit What is the op using to cool the CPU? On my last desktop build I didn’t Have the cooler fastened down all the way, and ended up with a situation described by the OP.