So my friend and neighbor has my old system, and recently he’s run into an issue where the PC doesn’t boot (although it does turn on) sometimes and he’ll have to turn it off and turn it back on until it posts successfully. It takes around 10 to 15 tries for the PC to finally boot and load Windows. He’s not very PC savy so he hasn’t changed anything or upgraded anything. He also hasn’t experienced any BSODs recently either. Full specs below and what I did to troubleshoot it.
Core i7 3770k (stock clocks) Water Cooled with a Corsair H100i
Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600
Msi 780Ti Gaming, Water cooled with a Kraken G12 and Corsair H55
EVGA BQ 650w 80plus Bronze PSU
Troubleshooting steps I took:
- Re-seated video card and checked the power cables were properly seated
- Re-seated sound card
- Tried removing one RAM stick per boot til none were left
- Tried booting up without the video card and used IGPU instead
- Tried removing CMOS battery for 5 mins
- Tried booting without DVD drive
- Tried booting without hard drive
- Checked that both water coolers are working and they are
Unfortunately none of these had any immediate or repeatable results, the PC did eventually post, but it’s annoying that he has to turn it off and on again so many times before it actually does.