PC Will Not Boot - Black Screen

Hi,

I am looking for some help. I think my GPU might have just died :(

The Problem:

My computer has been running perfectly for ages up until this point. At first the monitors started to turned on and off randomly for about a minute. Then after that, it crashed  and would not reboot. Whenever I try to turn it on, it powers up with the fans and lights going, but nothing else happens. The BIOS doesn't even come up.

What I Have Tried:

- Reseating Everything: I unplugged pretty much everything, blew the dust off and plugged it back in again.

- Testing PSU: I disconnected everything accept the Mobo, CPU, RAM and GPU.

- Resetting CMOS: I took the battery on the Mobo out and put it back in again.

All the above yielded the same result being no signal from my GPU at all, just a black screen.

- Testing GPU: I do not have onboard graphics, so I replaced it with my old (crappy) GPU and tried that.

This process worked and my computer functions fine on my old card.

This leads me to think the problem is my GPU, which sucks because I really cant afford another one this good :(

The GPU in question is a Radeon HD4890, if that matters.

Does anyone have any advice to share, or possible solutions?

Thanks for your time :)

Magnus

If I were to guess, I would have to say that the graphics card died. It seems to me that the motherboard is preventing the computer from fully functioning to prevent damage to the components. Also, since the other graphics card works, then I would have to imagine that it is a bad graphics card is your problem. Is the graphics card that you are replacing the Radeon HD 4890 with use the same slot as the Radeon HD 4890? Sometimes, it could be the socket on the motherboard. (I've had that happen with an Acer I bought from BestBuy.)

Good Luck. If it is your graphics card you could look to see if it has any broken components on it. You could try to replace them if they are easily accessible. However, if it were me, I would save up and buy a new card. 

Thanks for the reply :)

Yup, thats exactly what I feared. But yeah the replacement card is in the exact same slot, so doubt its the slot.

Hmm, how would I go about checking that, opening it up and shiz? If I am honest I doubt I would be able notice anything broken anyway. Because it wasnt being moved around, so nothing would have been physically broken. And it wasnt under any strain either when it crash, I literally just had a DAW running and that was it. Cant imagine why it would choose now to break, I guess grandual wear and tear, just it seems odd though :(

Are no like blackmarket solutions for this problem, like wacking it in the oven or pressing a little button somewhere? Thats what I was hopeing for, something like that :P

Yeah I guess I will just have to start saving :/

Hmm, yeah it does suck that your card seemed to just randomly die.

I was thinking that if you could get the heatsync off of the card, if you could see if any of the components were broken. I think it is worth a shot, since the card is already dead. The easiest component to see if it broken is the capacitor. Sometimes capacitors will explode or bulge. It should be fairly evident. All you have to do is replace them. (It requires soldering though.) I have to say, that I have never done that before though.

You could try the oven. I've heard that sometimes you can fix broken computer components by placing them in the oven for a bit. I've also never done this and I'm sure it's risky. However, the card is already broken.

My only other thought, is that the bios could be dead on the graphics card. (It happened to me once, without any type of bios flashing either.) If you had a computer that utilized Crossfire, you could see if you could flash a new bios on the card.

The only other time that I could think of is when my brother's and my friend's laptop died. They both died of the same thing. The computer would not turn on and when power button was pressed the fans would turn for a couple seconds before shutting off. It turns out the processors were fried in those.

That sounds like a good idea. I might give that a try, and I have soldering stuff so this is all possible :)

But as with the oven thing, that will probably be a last resort, purely because I dont understand how it works. I couldn't imagine anything worse than frying your card to be honest, it would be the last thing I would want to do :P

Ahh intresting indeed. I was considering buying the exact same card 2nd hand off ebay anyway, because I know what performance to expect for my money. And they are surprisingly cheap on here which is cool. Then if I have 2 cards I can try crossfiring, and looking at the BIOS. And if it doesnt work, who cares. But if it does, CROSSFIRE baby!

Also thanks for helping out :)

Just realised a fundamental flaw in my plan, I dont have another PCI-E slot. Lol, balls :P

This happened to my mom's  old inspiron your mobo probably just shorted out the card :/