Please can someone give me a few reasons why a PC is better than a laptop. Maybe it isn't, just tell me what you think! Thanks.
Upgradeablity and a massive difference in price to performance. An $800 desktop will smoke an $800 laptop. Laptops are great for portability but if portability and being able to do stuff on the go is not important to you a desktop gives you more for less.
Desktop: Power, Upgradeability, Price
Pretty much everything on a laptop is a mobile-designed version. An i5 in a laptop is not an i5 in a desktop. The desktop is capable of more cores, higher clocked ram, and much, much stronger GPUs.
- Depending on platform, CPU is upgradable
- Can have higher RAM capacity (number of DIMMs)
- Greater expansion options from motherboard
- Can have multiple HDDs
- As long as the CPU can support it, can be Upgraded to the latest GPUs
- You want good audio, improve it using a sound card.
- Can support multiple monitors (and even more using multiple GPUs)
- Usually have a longer lifespan than laptops, before upgrade.
- Has a better performance to price ratio when user built.
- can carry components from system to system eg HDDs
- Large, Takes up alot of space
- Not so portable
- People may have issues building one
- Everything is a peripheral, with its own cable or dongle to keep track of. (eg Mice, Keyboard, Mics, Speakers.
- Portable (light, slim)
- Everything is packaged into one unit (Screen, keyboard etc.)
- Consume little power (especially the newer Haswell based notebooks)
- Not as upgradable. (limited by CPU choices if any at all)(Limited by DIMM slots)
- Only have one HDD (or two without cd drive)
- Not as powerful as a desktop (unless you spend some serious $$$)
- If its broken, its not as repairable.
- You can't carry components from system to system.
- It is much easier to lose or have stolen.
This maybe biased to saying the Desktop is the better of the two, because I require performance. However everyone is there own person and like many people these days, a laptop or tablet is all they need.
Please can someone give me a few reasons why a PC is better than a laptop
- Way better performance for the same price
- Ability to use proper peripherals, which are:
23"+ monitors, preferably several of them,
optical wired mice,
mechanical keyboards, speaker systems for any budget and room size
- Upgradeability, both by replacing old components and by adding new ones. You can't install an audio card or use several HDDs in a laptop, for example
- Can be easily maintained and repaired
- PCs have generally longer lifespan, partly because of previous point. Half a year ago I replaced a HDD on an 11 years old PC and it still works just fine.
I have both because I need a laptop, but I would never want to use it at home.
You'll probably learn more about computers by using a PC. Building your own computer, being able to look inside, it gives you a better understanding. It's pretty valuable knowledge.
Thanks for the reply, I don't need portability so obviously a desktop is the way forward!
Thanks for all the detail! I've only joined recently and I can tell that there is a great community here on Tek Syndicate. Thanks again, all that info will be very useful!
I thought about that, If I buy a laptop, I wont be able to do upgrades and open it up and stuff. Thanks for the help.
Thank You for the help!