So, first of all this is what I have :

AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Cooler Master - MasterLiquid 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Asus - GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Video Card
LG - 34UC79G-B 34.0" 2560x1080 144 Hz Monitor
AKASA PA075AM 750W

So, basically my gtx 970 strix is starting to get old and cannot fulfill my endless need for FPSs anymore.
I was eyeing towards the Vega 64 being the big amd fanboy that I am, but I had reservations… And now with the new Navi launch, I am lost! (when I say amd fanboy, I’m not locked in buying amd, I just like the brand better)

I play a lot of game and do not plan on rendering/ editing a lot.
My budget is <550 euros and I’m in the Netherlands.

Should I wait for better cooled 5700 XTs?
Should I buy a vega 64?
Should I stay in Nvidia’s pocket for now and sell out for a RTX? (It’s worth mentioning that my monitor has freesync and not Gsync)
Should I upgrade something else instead?
What is the meaning of life?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Like

I think the GPU is by far the best upgrade you can do. You could get a Vega 56 + a Ryzen 3600X for those money as well though, which would be a solid upgrade across the board.

As for cooling, just buy an aftermarket cooler if you are that concerned about it.

Cough cough…

No. Wait for better cooled 5700… Then OC the bloody thing.

For the love of god - no… Vega is a dead thing now that NAVI is out. NAVI is massively better in every way.

It’s up to you. RTX2060 is about the same performance as 5700 and the 2060 Super is about the same performance as 5070XT. The power draw is about the same, etc… I would say hold on for aftermarket Radeon cards and then compare, but if you really need the power today - the blower cooler is kinda deal breaker…

I will say this: as a proud owner of ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro - a lightning fast NVMe boot drive is really nice thing to have… 3,5GB/s read is gorgeous thing…

42… Duh…

2 Likes

Hi @Hermod and welcome to Level1 :wink: (The thread told me to welcome you :smiley: )

Anyway, first and foremost: Freesync works on Nvidia cards as well, without any tinkering. (Nvidia released a driver update for that a while ago).

Considering your budget, RTX is (almost) a marketing gag and I wouldn’t go with anything below a 2070 Super if you want to enjoy RTX on 1080p.

What resolution are you playing on and are you considering a monitor update in the not too distant future?

I wouldn’t buy a reference 5700 (XT) now, I’d wait for custom cards, although the 2070 Super might have a better value proposition due to (1080p viable) RTX support. However, custom 5700s might be factory oc’d and will have better cooling so they might surpass a 2070 Super (for a certain price).
If you have time, wait for custom cards and see what happens. If I’d have to pick a card for this price now, I’d go with a 2070 Super since the 5700’s reference cooler is garbage :frowning:

Edit: After reading @psycho_666 post: 42 !!!
And also: Yeah, Vega is more or less obsolete, Navi is definitely better. That being said though, I’d probably pick a XT version over the non XT one, simply because I believe their pinning is better, but I might be wrong on that regard, haven’t read much on that subject.

2 Likes

The XT simply have more CUs and what not. It’s just a higher tier GPU. The difference is not that big though.
Not sure if a proper drivers and unlocked OC will be a thing in the AIB models or it will all be locked again ala FuryX…

Thank you very much for all these good points!

So basically it boils down to RTX if I need the upgrade right now, or wait for custom 5700 (XT) in the near future.

Do we have any idea how long it takes before brands make custom coolers?

@Azulath about a monitor upgrade, for now I’m happy with the one I have even though its not really top tier, I think upgrading would be very expensive

I heard something like September, although MSI already showed it’s garbage…

I’d reckon with 2-3 months…

@psycho_666 Buildzoid thinks AMD will use some kind of hardware lockdown. (Maybe blown shunts, stuff like that). Anyway, do you consider MSI generally as garbage or just their 5700 (XT) cards?

Yup…
I don’t really like ASUS as they are massively overpriced for what they offer.
I don’t like MSI, because for a long time I have had massive issues with everything I have seen or touched from them.
So that’s that. When I consider new hardware I just exclude those two brands…

1 Like

Fair enough :wink:
I had some problems with ASUS, especially their godawful support, but no real problems with my MSI GPU. They did a bad job applying their thermal paste, but I was able to fix that myself. Considering it doesn’t void the card’s warranty I didn’t mind that much.

Looks completly fine to me.

Might want to replace that at some point in the future.

No.
You should not buy a Vega VII either.

Definetly. Sapphire is probably going to bring out a killer cooler.
Another thing to keep in mind is that the 5700 non-XT’s are artificially locked from overclocking to XT performance.

42, but I forgot the question.

GPU is clearly the way to go.

Your options are as follows.

• GTX 1660ti: 1070/2060 performance, $279. Easy to find, and actually start at $270.
  • Navi 5700: 1070/2060 performance, $349. Must buy an AIB version, if you can find one.
  • RTX 2060S: 1080/2070 performance, $399. If you can find one.
  • Navi 5700XT: 1080/2070 performance, $399. Must buy an AIB version, if you can find one.

Looking at frames per dollar at this performance tier, the GTX 1660ti is clearly the way to go.

1 Like

Saw some of the older 2060’s going on sale for sub $300 with rebates on Newegg. May be worth keeping an eye if the older stock gets discounted enough to grab one