PC transport question

I'm in the midst of moving and am about the transport my main squeeze pc to my new place.

Was planning on removing the gpu(s) and cpu cooler...but was wondering... as it is like a less than 10 minute drive..and i'll have to carry it up to the second floor...play it safe and remove the graphics cards and cpu cooler or keep them in and just be careful (and avoid the hassle of removing and putting them back in again) ?

I know, ideally, i'd take them out just to be safe and spend those 20/30 mins installing them again when it's at my new place, but would any of you consider just keeping the parts in for this relatively short drive and carrying up the stairs ?

If the CPU cooler is a heavy tower and you're using a thin Skylake or Kabylake CPU then it might be good to remove it if it's going to be a bumpy ride, but I wouldn't bother for a 10min driver. Just take it easy and everything will be fine.

2 Likes

it's indeed a (fairly beefy) noctua nh12 se2 on a skylake chip, but it won't be a real bumpy ride. But i do have to go through a bunch of stairs (2 down, 2 up) so i might just have to suck it up and take some components out to lessen the weight and minimize the chances of things going bust when something does go 'bump'.

It'll also be a good push to me to finally get the new 4 pin fans and cable combs in because i've been putting that on hold for months.

I've shipped whole PC's from Korea to the US with everything attached. No issues at all. You'll be fine. If you still have the box your case came in, I'd just throw in there when you're transporting it.

2 Likes

I had an Nvid 580 go bad after a move. But those cards were really hard on the PCI slot.

i would keep it all in, just be carefull with transporting.

2 Likes

Generally when I move a PC I pull the GPU and lay it down with the cooler up. Even for extended trips this has been fine.

PCs are a bit more durable than you think. Bending of a chip is more of an issue of cranking down too much force when installing the cooler. Once it is on it shouldn't move much

2 Likes

thanks you guys for the input, i'll laze out. After all the furniture assembly i simply can't muster the time or energy to take off parts from my main pc to move it to the new place and put it back together again. All should be fine.

If not i will hate your guts forever. <3 No really, i think i'm gonna be too cautious and wasting time doing all these things when all should be fine with minimum effort anyways.

Short journey in your possession then at least make sure the case won't shift in case of an emergency stop/shunt.

The last PC I shipped was dropped in transit hard enough to break the side panel thumb screw off and dent the case corner but I'd packed the components with cut up foam blocks so nothing broke loose in the case.

What @DerKrieger said

Lay the system flat, motherboard parallel to the ground, slots up. Gravity will keep the cards in place. Drives can be in their side just fine for that type of trip.

Before you power on, push down on all your cards to make sure they didn't jostle loose.