PC Tech/Networking Tools - What to buy?

With the recent happenings in my employment situation, I’m in the process of putting together a toolbox. I have a good start of basic tools together, but I need to get some tools for terminating ethernet.

I’ve used these before, should be fine to just get myself these…

The tool I’m not sure on is the cable tester and toner. I would prefer to have more of an “all in one” tool, but it’s not a necessity, however the more features the better… But I’m not looking to spend hundreds on it either… I found this:
Wire Tracker, ELEGIANT RJ11 RJ45 Cable Tester Line Finder Multifunction Wire Tracer Toner Ethernet LAN Network Cable Tester for Network Cable Collation, Telephone Line Test, Continuity Checking

Anyone care to share what they use? I haven’t actually ordered anything and wouldn’t mind looking into other options.

I realize this is a bit generic, but I’m hoping this might thread might become a decent resource for someone else who’s looking for similar tools in the future.

Ifixit repair tool kits. Any of them with more than 50 bits and some have associated tools along with screwdriver and such.

If you are looking for a good, basic cable tester, Klein tools makes really good ones that aren’t a small fortune like Fluke. Saying this, it depends how often you are going to be running and terminating CAT cables. If you are doing it every day, I’d say the Klein tools is the lowest I would go. If you do it once a month or less, you can go cheaper. Speaking from experience doing cable runs, the one piece of equipment you can’t cheap out on is the tester and the crimper. Having a tester you can’t trust is worthless and will add hours if the tester says everything is good but it really isn’t. The crimper with decent RJ-45 ends will give you a solid crimp every time. Cheaper ones won’t always get all the taps into the cable on the first go.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-VDV526-052-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1507601829&sr=8-2&keywords=klein+cable+tester

Get a toner wand too if you need one. Most cable testers that are worth anything will generate a tone on the line that any toner wand will pick up.

Dont forget a cordless drill for putting servers in racks, a good flashlight if your going to be working with raised floors. If you pulling cable you will need some stuff for that as well. Some pull string is nice to run with cables so if you ever have to run another one you make the job a lot easier. Some snips are an important buy as well.

1 Like