Pc server

how can i turn a dell optiplex 7010 into a server???
what do i need to do that and what to take away???

What do you want your server to do?
Install software to perform this task, and plug it into the same network as the computers it serves. Essentially, any desktop computer is also a server, if you tell it to serve.

3 Likes

to be a storage server to where folks can use it. so i can make money from it etc… like what kinda software??? I have an old dell optiplex 7010 that i want to into a storage server

To make money off it is another matter entirely. You need to look into payment processing, domain registration, a static IP address on business internet packages that cost a fortune, make or borrow/buy a web UI for people to use, etc.
How many people do you plan to sell storage to? How much storage do you even have to sell? Are you prepared to scale? Are you going to build a datacenter in your basement? There are a lot of questions to ask and answer before you begin to work on even what kind of hardware to use for this.

For hardware, the only thing that really matters is you have enough storage space to host the files for your users, and a fast enough CPU to handle encrypting and decrypting the data. With just a slimline office PC, though, I don’t know how many people you expect to be hosting for, but i doubt it’s really scalable past 10 or so people.
For software, I’m not much help here, as I only know much of anything about locally hosting network filesystems for windows or linux to connect to directly on a local network.

1 Like

You need uptime and reliable storage. Otherwise you might get a lawsuit if something goes bad,

Those two alone requires about 2 different teams maintaining your server.

You can scale up slowly but that requires you to sell your server services to friends and family. Do you even know enough people for that?

Also see this guy’s post:

Do you want to do something like this?

2 Likes

I turned an Intel Atom N2600 based system into into a simple as it file server using Open Media Vault.

I only used Open Media Vault because the system requirements seemed a little high to bother trying FreeNas / TrueNass with this system. The slowest part of this thing slinging files around is the 1Gbit ethernet network.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.