PC (server) with RAID 1 for a small business

2 TB useable or 2TB total?

Like I said: Consider the workload and data retention. Even if you only tell Windows to create a previous-version at the end of the day and keep them for 7 days, 100 Gig turns into a Terrabyte in no time!

Because 2TB of business storage is not the same price tier as 2TB home-gamer cheap-shit!

Good luck building a server around the cheapest 2TB SSD out there, but do not come running back because the thing died within half a year!

A pair (preferably 4) Kioxia CD8-R (about 400€ a piece) or Kingston DC600m (200€ per drive) will add significant cost to a system where that sort of performance is not required.

1 Like

I’d like to echo this sentiment.
As we’re discussing in the Ssd data retention thread, consumer SSDs are not ideal when it comes to longevity.

1 Like

I have a dead Kioxia Exceria 480GB drive here. Murdered it as a cache-disk in my NAS, as an experiment of sorts.

It lasted 3 months, then died catastrophically.

You do know it is possible to get SSD storage for under $100 / TB now, even the fancy server drives, right…?

HDDs still have a sweet spot for a few more years, between 50 TB and 500 TB. Before the end of 2025 this will be 75 TB and 350 TB, and before the end of 2028, this will be 125 TB and 250 TB.

If you genuinely do not understand that this is how an enterprise grade NAS will look like going forward, then you really need to start doing your homework (hint, it has to do with rack space):

Anyway, for the current use case? We are talking saving maybe 2%-5% of the budget here for a guaranteed much worse experience. I don’t recommend doing it, but it is a free country.

If you genuinely do not understand how dangerous random cheap SSDs are, you need to do your homework.

Like this one?

Verbatim VI5000 2TB SSD M.2 PCIe Gen4 - $86.18

Taken from the top pick of http://diskprices.com, with the logic that if cheapest spinning rust is a viable pick then cheapest NVMe should be equally viable. :slight_smile:

Though, me personally would probably put more trust in something like this:

Samsung 990 Pro 4TB SSD M.2 PCIe Gen4 - $358.00

Micron 9300 Pro 15.36TB U.2 - $1,345.00

I agree that there are many cheap HDDs that should be avoided.
atm I’m paying $17.50 per terabyte for MG08 HDDs and $91.20 per terabyte for PM893 SSDs. both of these are what I currently think (subject to change) are minimum viable quality.

But even high price doesn’t seem to be a guarantee of reliable performance, check out what happens to WD SN850s compared to “cheap” teamgroup MP33’s after ~1 year’s use:

2 Likes

Yep, you can find crap quality in both places unfortunately, and I can agree SSDs are more vulnerable to it at the moment since it has not established a known consensus of good known brands yet… Getting there, but not there yet. :frowning:

I still maintain that SSD is the way to go for the OP; the number of TBs are small enough for it not to matter much budget-wise, and SSD will provide the better experience overall.

As for the overall picture, HDD phaseout is definitely happening, it is definitely accelerating, and the last spinning rust drive will be produced before 2035, possibly before 2030. But big picture and OPs picture are two different things, so let’s keep to the OP issue for now :slight_smile: