PC Seems to be lagging, is about a year old and only lags with certain games. Just started lagging this month. Help? ;_;

First off the specs are,

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU

Memory: 4GB [2 2GB] DDR3-1333 RAM

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB HIS IceQ X Turbo

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3

Power Supply: 600 Watt

Hard Drive: 1 TB Hard Drive (318gb remaining)

I just bought 8gb more RAM in case that's the issue (I figured more memory couldn't hurt) but I don't know what is causing this. My computer has shown no problems running games like GTA 4 on Max settings before but now about every 2 seconds the game lags even on the lowest graphical settings. My only speculation is that this is just all of the stuff that has accumulated on my PC finally catching up. I thought about reformatting my PC but that's my last resort. That's really all I can come up with so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. On a final note I apologize if this post is made in the wrong sub-forum, I didn't see one where idiots like me don't know what's wrong so I figured PC Gaming would be the best choice. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read and help!

Have you tries reinstalling your games?

Did you try updateing your drivers?

I have updated the ccc (Catalyst Control Center) and in Steam if I click "update video driver" it says it's up to date, so I believe so.

No I haven't. Do you think that is the issue? I tried Defragging some through Steam but that didn't seem to do anything.

Certain games? Try reinstalling the games, and see if the problem persists.

Will do, but the one I'm re-installing is GTA 4. Might take a while (approx. 1 hour). 

GTA IV is pretty cool. Add me on Steam if you want to play it sometime on Multiplayer.

Moved this thread to Other Hardware

Does it really matter much what forum it's in? Doesn't everyone just use the all forums section?

There are still appropiate sections for postings, as when they fall off the all forums page they are under the proper sections so they can found later. Also when I haven't been on in a awhile there are certain sections I check not eveyrone just uses the all forums page.

it helps when you want look up something from the past, like you don't want to find 5 million IZ DIS PC GUD threads in when you are trying to find a video on overclocking

Alright, I assumed I put it in the wrong forum and thank you for moving it to the appropriate one. Anyway, I tried re-installing GTA 4 and it still lags, so should I try de-fragmenting my hard drive? I have yet to do that.

Go ahead a give it a shot.

It does matter for "some" people.

I'll have to do it tomorrow, heard it takes a while. 

No worries, just that you got to be aware that PC Gaming means just PC games :P

We're still getting there

I would use Defraggler, anything really is better than the one in windows, plus you get a cool graphic

Thanks, will do.

did you install anything new on your pc? like a antivirus or programs?