PC seemingly randomly causes screens to go black and GPU fans to go to max speed

I haven’t tried windows on a completely different drive, the one it is installed on is brand new. Unfortunately this has been going on and off for so long that I don’t know the last time that my system was “stable” and it would’ve been with my previous PC anyways.

To me this sounds like a thermals issue with your GPU. I remember having the same issue with my GTX 1080 and ended up having to adjust the fan curves to make it run cooler.

You didn’t mention anything about your case. Are you using the same one from your previous build? Do you live in warm climate? You also mentioned it happens randomly, have you tried stress testing the GPU to see if its an issue with thermals?

2 Likes

Yes my case is new. Also I have been monitoring the temperature with MSI Afterburner and it never goes above 50C. After doing a burn in with it, it stayed constant at around 69-71C and then the displays go black and wont come back until I shut down and restart the computer.

Update #2

Figured I’d share an update of everything I have tried today to no success:

• Switching the GPU to a different PCIe port
  • Using Nvidia’s tools to uninstall everything and then reinstalling it
  • Used a second PCIe cable to connect to the power adapter for the GPU
  • Ran a burn in test and monitored temperatures and power draw, both were within expected levels
  • Ran a heavy-duty extension cord across my house to the other side to see if it was an issue with power draw.

Obviously none of these have worked, however I have learned that I can cause the issue to happen fairly consistently within 1-3 minutes by running FurMark.

Homie… Honestly… Only thing I can think of is “dead” Power supply. I bought a pre built from a place in South Africa and for year I use a power supply that would die in it’s final black screen. I am pretty sure if you were to use a new power supply your issue will be solved.

If anyone ever comes across this thread because theyre having a similar problem:

The solution was that it was a defective GPU. Since returning the 4070Ti and swapping back to my 1070Ti, I have had no issues.

I believe it was a faulty power adapter that the GPU came with but I have no evidence for this. My old PC was likely a dying PSU.

3 Likes

Go to you BIOS and see if Asus Multi-Core Enhancement(MCE) is turned on. If it is, turn it off. Had the same problem. Scoured dozens of, “OMG ME TOO!” posts with every random fix under the sun and the one thing I noticed was that they were all using their new 4070 TI with an Asus Mobo. Turned off MCE, it stopped buttf*cking my CPU with excess voltage, and my 4070 TI stopped throwing a tantrum. Turns out that it turns itself on after literally every BIOS update.

I know you no-longer have the card, but for future reference.

For me it was the thermal paste that completely dried out. Rx580 8gb. Replace the paste. The fan speed up is a sign of bad cooling.

I don’t know if you found a solution yet, but a similar thing is happening to me and I tried all kinds of fixes, none of which helped, but I noticed that I have the same GPU as you, only I don’t have an MSI 4070Ti but I have a Gigabyte 4070Ti. My guess is that the new 40 series has problematic power behavior and the only thing you can do is hope that you get a good unit, it’s probably QC. I don’t think I can RMA this since it’s not really an issue, you just restart the PC and it works. But it’s not good for the system drive since there could be a potential failure while forcing a restart and all the data gets erased…

i am having the same problem with my 4070ti, i’ve ordered another gpu because a guy on linus tech tips forum said my gpu was faulty. I believe the gpu cable had fried something out because it seemed kind of bent. The gpu has not arrived yet, but after reading some forums people say it might be a gpu driver issue. Did anyone also have a problem of a white light on asus motherboard and no display or a white and green light on asus motherboard but no display

I cannot believe I replied to this thread a year ago.

My daily driver recently (last couple of weeks) developed similar symptoms. Weird here is that I had it running for years w/o issues.
The last hw change was triggered troubleshooting a funky power button (also annoying). For a while I started the PC with a screwdriver which is quite annoying as well, but seemed to alleviate the issue. After a while I reconnected the power button to the mb and after some wiggling of cables that seemed to work for a while until a few days ago.

Current two theories for this behavior on my PC:

• Broken power button, randomly triggering (split seconds, not necessarily a proper press) and as a result leaving the PC in an undefined state
  • Thermal issues due to me leaving the PC case open (!) and as a result destroying the air flow. That in turn may cause some component (that I cannot thermally monitor, but is critical to the PCs operation) to overheat and bust the PC.

As late as today I observed my PC to go blank while reviewing BIOS settings, this removes any software from the equation…

After closing the PC back up it has been stable for a few hours. I think I will look into a power button replacement and/or a completely new case as a next troubleshooting step.

1 Like

I suppose that topic starter already has fixed the problem given that he,
has not put any reactions for almost a year now.
For others who have similar issues feel free create your own topic.

Grtz

1 Like