PC locking up/fans going to 100%

Specs
MOBO: ASRock B550 Taichi
GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 2080 Super
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
PSU: Corsair RM850x

Not sure if this belongs in the GPU category but it’s the only thing I can really figure out. My brand new PC has been having all sorts of issues with freezing or boot problems. It was booting with “8d” code but I haven’t seen that happen after dialing down my memory speed(annoyingly as others have used the same board and achieved much higher speeds with the same memory.)

The PC continues to lock up, however, completely randomly. It could be on a completely blank screen with nothing running. Or it could be on this site just browsing chrome. It will freeze for a couple minutes, the screen goes black, and then the GPU fans scream at 100% speed. This always happens if the PC stays on for an hour or so. Would I be correct in thinking the GPU is responsible? I don’t have another system to test anything with.

I’m at my wits end on all of this. I’ve been told by a myriad of people that it could be the PSU, the memory, the motherboard, and now possibly the GPU. I can’t figure it out on my own and support from any of the manufacturers have been nearly useless. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Could really be various things.
But the gpu would be the first thing i would look into.
If you have a spare gpu you could always try that.
Another thing you could try is to completely uninstall the gpu drivers with ddu.
And then reboot, and reinstall the newest drivers from the nvidia website.

Also what did you do with the memory settings in bios?

I may be able to get another GPU to test with but not for sure. Would have to borrow one or something.

Initially it was the “8d” motherboard code boot issues which someone said was memory issues…another said it was motherboard/chipset issues…another said it had something to do with cold booting. Who knows? Everywhere I search about it has a different answer.

So I ran memory test(s) and nothing came back strange. If I enabled XMP I would get more issues though. But leaving it as default 2133 or whatever it is, the problem still persists. Although not as often boot problems. I sort of copied someone else’s build I had talked with online before using the same mobo, cpu and memory and they have had zero issues with any of it.

I have tried removing all drivers with DDU and reinstalling the newest ones and it did nothing to change the issue.

Is your motherboard running the latest bios?

Yes I’ve updated it to the newest one. Couldn’t find any notes on what it changed but read a forum post somewhere saying it helped with memory compatibility and such. I haven’t noticed a difference.

I suppose you already tried most obvious things like,
re-seating the memory, cpu and gpu.

This is kinda a though one because it could litterly be anything.
I actually got the feeling that it might be the actual board or it’s bios.

Yeah I’ve been trying to figure this out for over a week now. I took the entire system apart and put it back together. I’m about to start trying to RMA things. I knew I shouldn’t have gone for the B550 board but heard nothing but good things about it from practically everywhere. But I also think it could be something going awry in the board. Hoping it isn’t the GPU at least since it’s a nice one as long as it’s working.

Getting proper support is like pulling teeth though. Corsair is literally the only support that has responded.

Monitoring temps and what not ?

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Yes. CPU idling around 40-50c. Not sure under load since it usually doesn’t get that far. GPU idle at 30c. Everything else looks normal. Nothing has gotten too warm since I haven’t had the chance for it to get warm, lol.

windows / linux ? What os ?

If you are using windows ? Go check out windows event viewer. It should give you a better idea or at least what class of issue / issues are impacting your pc.

Well that shouldn’t really be a problem.
The Asrock B550 Taichi is actually a pretty sollid board.
But sometimes a bad example could fall from the production line.

But yeah i´m kinda curious how many voltage the board,
pumps into the cpu when being in the Os.

1 Like

Reset memory speed to defaults (non-XMP profile) - or manually set DDR4-2133 (i.e. base DDR4 speed) and see if problems persist.

It could simply be a dead/flaky board. I’d RMA it if you keep having issues.

PC building isn’t/shouldn’t be as hard as your build seems to have been.

Reset CMOS to defaults, set boot drive (nothing else!) and see if you have problems.

If you do, maybe run with ONE stick of RAM at a time and confirm memory is OK - if that checks out RMA the board.

It shouldn’t be this difficult.

One other thing: is this a clean OS install or did you transplant a drive from some other machine?

As above - even the best make/model boards have a failure rate, and you could just be unlucky enough to get a dead one.

1 Like

Reset the whole mb to bios defualts. Then make sure the ram is on basic 2133 defaults. Ya… is it clean installed ? Have they completely updated the system fully. OS and whatever hardware drivers needed. You want to avoid installing anything other than what is needed for the system to run. Until you locate the source of the problem. Otherwise you might be stacking issues on top of issues.

A linux usb installer will often spit out hardware issues up front.

1 Like

Everything on this is brand new including the OS. Brand new ssd, fresh install of windows, etc.

I had already tried resetting everything to default settings but to no avail. Then I tried updating the bios which seemed to help with booting issues but didn’t solve the freezing at all.

I could check specific voltages later but I’ll probably end up trying to rma the board…if I could ever get a response from ASRock. It’s past return point to Newegg unfortunately. It’s been a week since my initial request was put in to asrock with no response.

Thanks for the replies. Never had issues like this in the past so it’s frustrating.

We have all been there :frowning: Event Viewer for windows can often be helpful. Might have to google some of the errors to get a sense of what is going wrong.

New or not… Its is still possible to get a corrupted OS/hardware drivers/ and a bad bios flash.

One last thing…power profile for Ryzen. Take a look at your power profile. I would of thought they would of fixed some of ills of this by now. Venders to each their own. Not having ryzen cpu on a Ryzen power profile has caused stability issues in the past. Seeing how this is a newly released mb. It could not hurt to take a look. Mine would crash out under load while gaming ect…

I’m using the AMD Ryzen balanced one as it defaulted to that. I had heard using high performance can cause stability issues.

Kinda sucks, I can start up a game and play at max settings on pretty much everything and it remains quiet and cool but then the freezing randomly happens whether in game or not. I guess as long as it isn’t my GPU I’ll be fine. Dealing with MSI customer support is a headache and a half.

Also, a new bios for my board released today but I can’t find any notes on what it changes. Couldn’t hurt to try an updated one?

1 Like

Looking at HWMonitor, the V going to the CPU ranges anywhere from .981 to 1.012 to 1.494 max. Not sure if this is normal or what.

Reset UEFI to defaults.

Update the UEFI

Then see if the issue is solved.

If the issue persists use the DDU utility to install the clean new versions of the display driver.

Its possible you may have a generic driver in place of something system critical or you might be out of date. For something like that I like to use
https://www.snappy-driver-installer.org/

Its quite nice. Its rough around the edges but it gets the drivers I need. Its open source if you are worried.

Get https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ and monitor voltages. See if the stutter happens because of a Vdroop in which case it maybe solved by a simple offset of + .05 volts across the board on the chip :slight_smile:

If the problem continues it could be a memory issue. There is a procedure to test memory but also just try booting with one stick in. Disable XMP or enable it. Try to see if its memory settings related in the EFI

Worst case you could RMA the board?

Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 V2 1.0.8.0. This fixes a lot of stability issues and memory issues.

Well I cannot for the life of me get a hold of ASRock so haven’t been able to even initiate an RMA. Started tinkering with things a little more and seemed to have gotten everything stable. Knocks on wood

For some reason, if I try to manually set anything related to my memory it will have issues whether that be locking up or boot issues. But if I click the XMP profile, THEN turn down the speed from 3600 to 3200(went down in a few steps to see if it mattered) then it seems to be holding up. It’s like the motherboard has an issue with my memory or maybe it’s the voltages? If I try to manually set the same voltage and speed it won’t do it. It’s very weird.

I tested and tried the memory repeatedly and it seems fine so maybe it’s just a compatibility issue. Kind of sad because I sort of copied a friend’s build who has same mobo and same memory and they have it at full speed.