PC keep restarting for no apparent reason

Hi
Maybe u guys have some idea what could be wrong.
Ok, so most of the time the PC is fine, like 90% of the time, but some days the PC just throws a complete fit and will restart 30 times in a day.

When its one of those days the PC will restart even if u only go into BIOS and do nothing, so I’m assuming its not a Windows issue.
The CPU is not overheating or getting toasty so thats not the problem either.

I have not checked if the RAM could be the problem.

The boot drive is a LiteOn SSD of some kind of budget model, ~250GB.
Is it most likely this is a SSD problem? Ram problem? or others?

It does not go into any kind of BSOD, it simply just restarts like if u pushed the reset button.

Do we have any Sherlock Holmes here who can figure this one out?

I would trouble shoot by taking everything out. Leave a single stick of RAM and test if the PC os stable. Then takeit out and test another stick. Then GPU. And so on.

But maybe first check your front panel connectors? Maybe the reset switch is being shorted? Never know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is windows set to restart as soon as an error like this occurs?
Check the event manager for errors around the time it restarts. If you can’t see any noted error or reason for restart, I wonder if your power supply is ok?

1 Like

Didn’t he said it also happens in BIOS?

If your system is restarding randomly even in the BIOS screen most likely is a power issue. Try an RMA on your PSU and get a new one. Also, before that, just try to plug in the PC on a different outlet in your house and see it at times throws the same issues at you.

Could be bad connections on RAM, PCIe (GPU sag?) or power supply.

1 Like

I had a similar thought. Could this be due to a brownout situation? Do you have the system on a UPS or anything like that?

Ohh good idea, would not have thought of that.

Edit: single post.

@meduza23456 Do you have any extra parts, PSU, or motherboards to test with?

2 Likes

thnx for a lot of really good n helpful responses, I do have some extra parts to spare, but I will start with disconnecting the reset cable from the motherboard, so we can be sure the Reset switch isnt shorting out (very good suggestion)

and I think I actually hooked up a pretty legit PSU a few weeks ago cuz I though power might be the issue, never thought abt the outlet/extension cord cuz its not at my desk and it looks like there are ten snakes fighting on the floor with all kinds of cables mix n match, I’ll get an extension cord for just that PSU and see if the problems persist.

Once again, thnx for all helpful answers!

with some motherboards you may see this if a drive, or card is drawing too much power upon start-up. old hdd’s can often do this when they start failing and a good indication is a drive that is excessively hot. On-board video processors can also.
and with extension cords they need to be properly sized as to prevent voltage drop issues.
here is a simple voltage drop calculator that can help.
https://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html

What CPU and Motherboard are you using?