PC case for home server

By your recommendation I looked it up and saw a used one for $100 (~$170 new). It does look nice indeed, tempered glass though, and the procurement/pickup is more of a hassle than the BQ Silent Base 801.

Would you recommend I look into it further?

1 Like

That looks more like a rack mount case (although I’m no expert), I’m in the market for a plain old PC case.

1 Like

It is, but if you want a standard case then a full sized Fractal is something I would second.

1 Like

Fractal Define 7 all the way. Yes it’s not cheap but so worth it.
I bought it for a home server / nas.
It’s awesome.
I initially wanted to buy the R5, but with the lack of availability, I went for the define 7 and men, so worth it.

The way drives are mounted is great for airflow. And you have dust filter everywhere.
Plus mine is the solid version so I have the sound insolation as well.

Compare to the R5 I spent a third of the price more but I’m glad I did.

With your build, I can’t recommend it enough.

Edit: I forgot the best part, no screw on the panel super easy to open. There is a fan hub, and more than enought stuff to cable manage

3 Likes

If you are looking at the used market as well as the new cases, you may as well check NZXT H440 and Arc Midi R2…

1 Like

You can find them with a solid sound dampening side panel but you might have to do some digging. You might also be able to pick one up one Ebay or another reseller.

1 Like

If you want to downsize a bit, SFFTime has a couple of interesting options with their P-ATX and N-ATX cases, but you might need to spend some extra on cooling.

1 Like

ITX - Fractal Node 304… 6HDDs easy…

1 Like

Haha, yeah, old cases are absolutely fantastic for adding lots of stuff in them. All modern cases are built with watercooling in mind, which is sad. My old Antec case that I use as a server has 4x 3.5" drawer trays for HDDs, 2x 3.5" external drawer trays for floppies and 3x 5.25" drawer trays for CD / DVD players. And an empty spot under the HDD trays that can fit another HDD. Bought a 3x 5.25" to 4x 3.5" hot-swap cage and added 11 HDDs in this case + 1 SSD for boot, it’s hilarious how filled and heavy it is. A dust filter would definitely be nice, but I won’t be using this system for much longer.

So you need (at least) a micro-ATX case with 4x 3.5" bays and 3x 2.5" bays. While I’m also a fan of rack cases, you mentioned you want a tower. In that case, if you don’t mid going bigger, check out the Antec P101 Silent (support for E-ATX, 8x 3.5" bays, 2x 2.5" bays, 1x 5.25" bay, up-to 180mm radiator height, the Dark Rock Pro 4 has 163mm).

https://www.antec.com/product/case/p101-silent
This case should last you for many years, just like mine did. My Antec Sonata II is probably 10 years old or more and this model was first released in 2005! Not really an Antec fanboy, but I strongly believe they make the best no-nonsense cases with the easiest front-panel opening (so easy to clear the dust filter). They aren’t flashy or feature transparent (glass or plexi) side-panels, which is why I really like them. My old model has tool-less side panel opening, a feature not available on the new P101 Silent. I extensively made use of it when debugging a faulty SATA port on my motherboard, but if you don’t use janky hardware like I do, you should be fine.

1 Like

Indeed - but N-ATX allows you to keep all your components including motherboard. I am unaware of any good Threadripper ITX motherboard.

1 Like

Don’t recall a proper TR4 ITX board, ever being a plausible arrangement
1 D-ITX board from ASRock Rack [think it was Epyc Rome native], which was mental
Basically, approaching mATX width, but maintaining ITX height… Would you just look at it!?

1 Like

Yeah that’s a little bonkers. I guess if you had a super dense cluster for compute only you could make use of something like that, but otherwise I don’t get it.

1 Like

Yep, and the Fractal Node 304 is ITX or DTX only and Threadripper is usually eATX :confused:

That’s why I brought up the ITX form factor, the 304 is great for a less demanding servers but for a Threadripper system? Yeah, not feasible unfortunately.

1 Like

By some luck I managed to find a used Define 7 for about $90 converted. So I went with your recommendation and got it today, gonna transfer my stuff soon and hopefully enjoy no noise.

3 Likes

Make sure you keep an eye on temps and do some testing. Gamers nexus did some in-depth thermals on the define 7 and found it lacking with the door closed and the filter in.

I went with the meshify 2 in the end as in many ways it’s the same case with a mesh front instead of the door.

1 Like

I did. I’m more concerned with silence and dust, because it’s in my home office, where people also occasionally sleep.

I have the Meshify 2 Compact as my pc.

3 Likes

I have an R6 with a solid panel. Currently sitting empty waiting for me to buy parts for a server build. Solid case and makes for a very quiet system with the sound dampening.

1 Like

I’ll give my two cents. I see the M-ATX you have already… I am using this and am VERY happy with it. I use the Fractal Node 804. Its a little larger, has dust filters, and room for SOOOO many fans you can run them super low and keep temps very low. It also has room for a VERY large CPU cooler, and room to expand disk wise. The back side has room for 8 3.5in. drives or twice as many 2.5in. drives if you use dual 2.5in to 3.5in adapters.

You can see it here.

And this is my build.

I feel that. I have a Fractal case with a door too on my desktop at the moment for similar reasons.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.