PC Build for Grandfather

What will you be doing with this PC? Be as specific as possible. Email, spreadsheets, pictures, searching the web

What is your maximum budget before rebates/shipping/taxes? $1,000+ (Clearly don't need to spend that much on a system) but the budget is pretty loose so feel free to give me some pretty good parts that will last a long time)

When do you plan on building/buying the PC? ASAP

What, exactly, do you need included in the budget? OS, peripherals, wifi, in addition to the tower. OS, and WiFi

Which country will you be purchasing the parts in? If you're in US, do you have a Microcenter? US, No Microcenter.

If reusing any parts (including peripherals), what parts will you be reusing? Brands and models are appreciated. Old Dell monitor and keyboard/mouse.

Will you be overclocking? If yes, are you interested in overclocking right away, or down the line? CPU and/or GPU? Probably not...

If there's any specific features you want/need from the rig, please list them. Definitely need an optical drive, and as a said above WiFi.

Do you have any specific case preferences such as a window or LEDs, or do you have a preference for low-noise components? Nope.

Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? No OS, But Windows 7 would do just fine.

Just copied my post from reddit for the sake of decent formatting. 

This is what i would put together for my grandfather.  Is it more than you need, Yes but you want a reliable system that will last a long time.  For basic systems I like AMD for the price to value.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2IIql

With your budget you can also go Intel route may cost more but will have more room to upgrade in the future and haswell don't run as hot as APU's

Pretty much spot on.  He won't really need more than this.